Middle gear oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle gear oil change

So when I was changing my drive oils I found my oil catch pan wouldn't work with the center stand down. I thought about it for a bit and ended up cutting the top off of an arizona tea can. Held it up to the bolt as I unscrewed it and barely leaked any oil. Just thought I would share this info to help people with big oil pans like mine.
    '80 Standard

i used a plastic cup

I had the same issue, I couldn't fit the drain pan underneath where I knew it was going to flow because of the center stand. There is only .475ml (from memory) so I knew a cup would work.
    1982 XJ1100 - Given to me as a gift!! Only 10,600 miles!
    1983 Honda Silverwing - Sold in 2003

Comment

I just use some aluminum foil to make a funnel / guide to get the oil off the centerstand and into my drain pan.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I put s couple handfuls of floor dry in a plastic bag and drain it in the bag.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I take it over to the neighbors driveway and drain it there , unless I really don't like them then I drain it on their lawn.

Actually I use a piece of cardboard bent to create a trough to guide it out to the drain pan, then I don't tell the parts store it's mixed oil (they won't take it if you do). Or just do it the easy way the blow the engine and don't bother changing the middle drive oil, just put fresh oil in the middle drive of the new engine .
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I hate changing middle and final drive oil so I switched to bacon grease. That was ten years ago and not a problem since. My bike smells great, like a motorized BLT, but I do get chased by dogs an awful lot...

Comment

If you spray your valve cover gasket with Pam spray as anti-stick, the bike smells like a pizzeria for a week, lol.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
              X