Frustrated!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    If you have an 80G, which is the standard model, you never had an OCTY. The vacuum valve is built into each petcock on the Standard models. The Special models...the SG have the OCTY.

I always trim my carb bowl gasket on the sides to be exactly the edge of the carb bowl. No overhang for the float to catch on. But if it took that much pressure to stop the flow of gas, the valve could be defective.
    Maybe wrong float needles? Where you get them from?
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Only thought on that is he only has one that leaks. Pretty unusual to get one out of four wrong, and if they were alll wrong they would all leak. Worth looking at if you got it open, but not likely.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        Only thought on that is he only has one that leaks. Pretty unusual to get one out of four wrong, and if they were alll wrong they would all leak. Worth looking at if you got it open, but not likely.
        More likely something IN that needle valve, like a chunk of rust or rubber blocking the thing from sealing and needing a lot of pressure to get it to seal enough to stop gas flow. Sounds to me like that valve and seat need to come out anyways, but I agree it's not likely to be the wrong valve or seat, more likely a damaged one of something interfering with it.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Same problem

Not long ago I a similar issue. Finally figured out that the viton tip had a deep circular crease in it where is meet the hole shoulders in the seat. Couldn't seal properly at all. Low float level I believe caused it. Anyway, I changed it out with a new on and haven't had an issue since.
          mack
          79 XS 1100 SF Special
          HERMES
          original owner
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
          SPICA
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
          IOTA
          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
          Frankford, Ont, Canada
          613-398-6186

Comment

Update.

The new float and needle valve should be here today. I will get it installed after work. I removed the carbs and opened up the float bowls. Removed gasket material to the edge of the carb body just to make sure.
            What is the best way to route all the carb hoses? They seem like a huge PITA each time I have to connect them.
            1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Got the new parts. installed them. It seems to match the other carbs action much better. I decided to check the octy out. Not good. port 3&4 and 1&2 are xonnected whther i blow through them, create vacuum on them or if i do the same to the vacuum line to the octy.
              So I can run a hose from the front petcock nipple to both petcocks and run the aft nipple to the respective
              "T"s on the carbs? I need to cap off the vacuum lime to the octy of course. Is this correct or am I missing something?
              1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

what would be the best routing if i placed an inline filter between the petcocks and carb "T"s? would it be feasible to route the right petcock to the left carb "T" and vice versus?
                If all goes well I could be riding by the weekend! WOO HOO!
                1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

would it be feasible to route the right petcock to the left carb "T" and vice versus?
                  That's how I did it. Then I placed the filters just above the Tee on each side. I used Visu Filters.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Working...
                  X