79F Headlight Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79F Headlight Replacement

I purchased a 79F with a Windjammer Fairing and do not not have the original rectangular headight or turn signals. I have been searching for the orig type and have not be able to locate one. Will the special model round headlight with the turnsignals fit the F model without any mods. Thanks for any feed back

Originally posted by zz4kgg View Post
    ...Will the special model round headlight with the turnsignals fit the F model without any mods. Thanks for any feed back
    Unfortunately, no.... The Special headlight assembly can be made to fit by cutting about 5/8" off the 'ears' so they fit the standard forks, and you'll have to fabricate a lower headlight adjustment bracket.

If you can find most of the standard headlight parts (everything except the headlight itself, which is the hardest to find bit), you can adapt a automotive headlight by doing this: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...175#post332175

If you're looking for strictly a bolt-on solution, you'll need to track down the standard parts (any '78-80 parts will work). As an alternative, you can get 'universal' brackets and headlights from MikesXS here: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-77.html#products

Good luck!
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

79F Headlight Question

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the feedback

Comment

I still have the original headlamp assy off of my 78 if your are interested.
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

headlight assy

Thanks! Did you replace with special headlight assy? Can you send me pics and price when you have time, email to fultonsfg(at)aol.com Thanks
          **Email link editted to prevent spambots from capturing** T.C.

Comment

I want to bring mine as close to original without fairing mounted. If anyone else has a complete standard setup lemme know. I already have the bucket and lens.
            Last edited by Nubian; 07-13-2011, 10:14 PM.
            BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
              I want to bring mine as close to original without fairing mounted. If anyone else has a complete standard setup lemme know. I already have the bucket and lens.
              There IS no original without the fairing mounted. The 81H only came with a fairing and didn't come as a naked bike, but only in the touring configuration. 80 was the last year for the standard without a fairing from the factory. So you will need to find the stuff off an earlier model, and most of those parts are REALLY hard to find what with the standards actually being far less common than the specials.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                There IS no original without the fairing mounted. The 81H only came with a fairing and didn't come as a naked bike, but only in the touring configuration. 80 was the last year for the standard without a fairing from the factory. So you will need to find the stuff off an earlier model, and most of those parts are REALLY hard to find what with the standards actually being far less common than the specials.
                Tomato tomaato
                I hear you however the standard ears are on the bike they came folded under the fairing in case you wanted to remove fairnig you could still do so and mount the lights
                BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Working...
                X