I keep screwing up this "Special" thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep screwing up this "Special" thing

Ok, Working on my "new" 80' Special and it has those little aftermarket black tailights on it ( and not in the right spot either) and wanted original ones. Answered ad on Cl for rear fender with lights and picked them up today. I knew they came off an 80' Standard but didn't know they had different tailights...and now I do! Too late on that but he also has the original wheels with like new tires on them I would like to own...are they a straight swap? Help save my wallet, I keep screwing up!
    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

The SG (80 special) has the tail light mounted to the grab bar behind and actually IN the rear of the seat as does the SH (81 special). The licence plate bracket with tag light is mounted down on the fender. The SF (1979 special) has the tail light and licence plate bracket all as one and the tag light is just a clear bottom in the tail light lens.

The special rear wheel is a 16" wheel and the standard has a 17" wheel but it will fit. The front one will be the same 19" as the special.

Here's what one looks like.........

Edit: I just noticed that this 80 in the pic has the older brake rotors on it, 80 and 81 had slotted rotors.

Anything else?
    Last edited by BA80; 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
      he also has the original wheels with like new tires on them I would like to own...are they a straight swap?
      Front 19" wheel is a straight swap, use your old Special speedometer hub though.

Rear wheel on a Standard is 17" and the Special is 16" and not a straight swap.

Edit: Oops, been posted by BA80 already.

Edit: Check the date code on those tires first. Over 5 yrs old and they won't grip so good.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 07-06-2011, 03:07 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for that input. Guess I can scratch buying the wheels

Comment

Can the 17" rear work? Will it cause any difficulties? It's a heck of a price for two mounted ready to go and I think the front I'm riding on may be original tire!

Comment

You would need the spaces from the standard wheel.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
              Can the 17" rear work? Will it cause any difficulties? It's a heck of a price for two mounted ready to go and I think the front I'm riding on may be original tire!
              If you buy those and want to do some trading I know someone who wants a 17" rear wheel from a 81 standard. If you don't buy them PM me the link please.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

He actually does not have them on CL. Had some other stuff but not the wheels. Also has a vetter fairing (yamaha line) for extra cheap. I could pick that up if anyone wanted it. I'll let you know if I buy the wheels and I'll PM you.

Comment

Working...
                X