Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard petcock mods

hi folks
    It's been a couple of years since I've been on the forum, but just bought back a 1100SG I had sold a couple of years ago. I'm glad to have it back. I have a 750 final drive to install this weekend and I think I'll put a rear wheel off one of my old standard models on also. I never really liked th 16 inch wheel. I swapped out the special tank for a standard I had kept from a few years back as well. So I guess it won't be so "special" when I'm all done. I believe I remember reading about reversing the petcock selector levers to create an "off" position on the standard petcocks but danged if I can find that thread now. Does anyone else remember this?
    Last edited by chopwatchagot; 07-05-2011, 10:50 PM.
    If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
    80G The Big unit
    72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
    84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
    79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Why would you want to screw up a simple, good working system?...........beats the heck out of the alternative on the Specials...IMHO.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

IIRC, you can get a 'off' position by simply filing off the little 'stop' nub in the lever opening on the chrome trim plate. This allows the handle to turn 360 degrees, and 'off' is when the handle is pointing straight up...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        IIRC, you can get a 'off' position by simply filing off the little 'stop' nub in the lever opening on the chrome trim plate. This allows the handle to turn 360 degrees, and 'off' is when the handle is pointing straight up...
        Steve is correct, file that little nub (and maybe a hair off the end of the handle so it doesn't hit the tank when pointing up) and you have a "off" in the up position.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here is the thread you were looking for...
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=petcock+mod

I like it... Only thing I will say though is I still have one petcock that weeps a little fuel still. So... the mod isnt 100%. But, I think the seal in that petcock is a little messed up... It keeps my air box dry just have to remember to put a catch can under it when I have the tank removed.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
          X