Tach stopped working XS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach stopped working XS1100E

Can anyone suggest some troubleshooting tips for the tachometer on a XS1100E, it stopped working today, the speedometer works and the manual has nothing helpful. I am new to the forum and this bike.

Thx
    Tom
    Tom-1978XS1100E

See if your field coil is magnetic with the key switched on. Use iron on the side of the alternator cover. The tach gets its signal from the alternator. Typically, the problem is in the connections of the white wires (and one yellow) behind the fuse panel. On the other hand the volt regulator could be bad or something else.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

First thing you need to do is check your alternator for output because as skids said that is where the tach gets its signal. No output, no tach.

Check at the battery and you should have around 14 volts at 3000 RPM.If not check the white/yellow wires behind the fusebox.

If you have the proper voltage, there are a couple of connectors inside the headlight bucket for the tach. Check those for a good connection.

Please report what you find.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom A View Post
        Can anyone suggest some troubleshooting tips for the tachometer on a XS1100E, it stopped working today, the speedometer works and the manual has nothing helpful. I am new to the forum and this bike.

Thx
        Tom
        Hi Tom,
        here's a Q&D charging test, point the headlight at a wall and rev up.
        If the light gets brighter, it's charging. If it don't, it ain't.
        If you have charge & no tach, check the 3-pin plug under the tank where the tach plugs into the main harness.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

No Tach follow up - bad wires

I put a piece of iron on the alternator cover and it stuck to it, I checked the connections behind the headlight and it looked ok to me, nothing loose. I next went to check the white and yellow wires behind the fuse box and ran into trouble. Upon inspection one wire was so corroded that it broke off and the others are in bad shape, it looks like they were melted a little as well. I also, noticed a couple of wire crimp style connectors on some of the wires back there and I'm hoping it's not an old bad patch job. I ran out of time so I put everything back and now the bike wont start, I have fuel it cranks but won't start. I will make repairs of the bad wiring. The problem is there is not much room on the pigtail on the harness where the bad wires are. I think trying to solder a new piece is a bad idea as the connections might become brittle and crack or is using a new wire crimp type connector the only way to go? I did not get to use a meter and check for any voltages yet.

Thanks
          Tom
          Tom-1978XS1100E

Comment

You've probably just lost connection with a fuse in the fuse panel becouse you were messing around there is why it won't start now.

Those corroded alternator wires are most likely why the tach doesn't work.

Check all of the connectors behind the panel while your there.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom A View Post
              I put a piece of iron on the alternator cover and it stuck to it, I checked the connections behind the headlight and it looked ok to me, nothing loose. I next went to check the white and yellow wires behind the fuse box and ran into trouble.
              Thanks
              Tom
              Yep, its a classic problem.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X