'80 SG... First Start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    Well, after double-and-triple checking everything with the carbs off the bike, I just dunno...

Float levels looked very close when checked with the tube off the drain, so that's not it. I tried 'simulating' the engine vacuum with my shopvac to see if I was getting a fuel out places it shouldn't be coming out of

I'm having a hard time getting anything done today, 'cause my dog decided this year he doesn't like fireworks.. Every time something goes boom, he gets totally underfoot (and at 90+ lbs, that's a lot under foot!) and I have to calm him down. We'll both be glad when the 4th is past....
    That oughta make a nice 4th of July bang, gas fumes thru a wet vac, you know a spark from the motor

Yep, animals don't like that noise, Happy 4th though.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Woo hoo! Some success finally!!

Went through and changed out the rebuild kit needles for a set of good stockers, and swapped on a set of bottom-drain bowls. I also re-set the float levels to 24.5mm instead of 23 to drop the fuel level. That may be a bit lean, but I'll do the sync and idle adjustment first before I worry too much about that. I did have trouble with high idle, but finally figured out that the throttle sleeve wasn't letting the carb butterflies close quite all the way. Pulled the sleeve and altered it until I had slack in the cable, much better. I now have a stable idle.

It appears the RLU has gone TU, as the 'headlight' indicator came on after the third start, and stays on no matter if it's high or low... grrrr...

But it's progress!
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

good stuff,
        was that the slide needles or the needle from the
        needle and seat?

to check for corect float height while riding
        have the bike in 5th gear, crack open to wot from
        2000rpm, there should be no lag or bogging down and
        should accept throttle to redline if floats are set correctly.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Pete, I replaced the slide needles. The rebuild kits came with some adjustable brass needles, but they had a different taper and a rather sloppy fit in the slides. I had to dig through all my carb stuff to come up with four good stockers...

And there's definitely 'stuff' in that eBay exhaust, as the mufflers still had smoke coming out them five minutes after I shut the bike off!
          Last edited by crazy steve; 07-05-2011, 10:45 PM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Glad you got the carbs almost sorted out. Just reset that float height back to stock and you should be in fine shape.

Don't overlook the easy solution on the RLU and try a new headlight.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Glad you got the girl running!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ah, the wrong needles were the problem. I've seen it happen a couple times, wouldn't even think that would affect low speed. Good, you got it running better.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

yep, didnt think the needles would come into effect at idle,
                  good to know in future tho.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

As I mentioned or eluded to earlier in the thread, I made a mistake in assembly the first time I dug into my carbs. Out of curiosity I took one of the slides apart just to see what was in there. When I put it back together I put the spring in first, then the needle. I only took one apart and so it was only one back in wrong. That one cylinder ran rich as can be no matter what I did with the mix screw in low RPM and idle. That cylinder would foul out when sitting at a light, or cruising around at low RPM, but as soon as I got above 3k or so it would kick back in. Run the bike at low RPM and the plug came out black as the ace of spades. Run it above 3k and look again, plug was nice and tan/clean. Took me a loooonng time to finally figure out what was wrong. Got the needle and spring in the right order and that bike ran great ever since.

Essentially, it is the same thing as having your slide raised up just a little, so you actually bring the main jets into play at idle and low RPM.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      As I mentioned or eluded to earlier in the thread, I made a mistake in assembly the first time I dug into my carbs. Out of curiosity I took one of the slides apart just to see what was in there. When I put it back together I put the spring in first, then the needle. I only took one apart and so it was only one back in wrong. That one cylinder ran rich as can be no matter what I did with the mix screw in low RPM and idle. That cylinder would foul out when sitting at a light, or cruising around at low RPM, but as soon as I got above 3k or so it would kick back in. Run the bike at low RPM and the plug came out black as the ace of spades. Run it above 3k and look again, plug was nice and tan/clean. Took me a loooonng time to finally figure out what was wrong. Got the needle and spring in the right order and that bike ran great ever since.

Essentially, it is the same thing as having your slide raised up just a little, so you actually bring the main jets into play at idle and low RPM.

both you and phil made the correct call there,
                      i was always under the belief that the needle along with the main jet
                      wouldnt make any difference at idle, u learn something everyday hey.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots

Comment

Keepin' my fingers crossed, Steve didn't really say if it runs well yet. Gotta really ride it, you know.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Well, I missed a few days (one due to a funeral, and the second to let my back recover from those unpadded church pews; those just kill my back...), so I got out and worked on the sync/adjustment today.

First, let me say that my 'Murrin' sync tool works great. Took less than ten minutes to get the initial sync before I had to shut the motor off. Why did I 'have' to shut it off, you ask? I painted the barrels/heads with brushed-on oil-based paint, and there's a cure process when you do this. A few more heat cycles, and it'll be ready to test ride.

The carbs adjusted no problem, so it probably was the slide needles causing the problem (well, that and the throttle being too far open due to the throttle sleeve). Smooth idle, responds to throttle good, starts easily. All good...

I'm waiting until tomorrow to do a test ride, as nobody is around on a weekday to retrieve me if there's any 'glitch' in the ride... I'm also waiting until after the test ride to see if I need to change the float levels, as I think they're set pretty close to where they were before.

The issue with the RLU was a loose connection at the handlebar control plug under the tank; I tightened the female side and the problem is gone.

I also figured out the 'trick' to getting the stock airbox on with minimum fuss. Some of you may already know this, but in case you don't, here it is: Get the stacks started on the carbs on one side or the other. Don't worry about the airbox being cocked. Once you have two on one side on the carb throats as far as you can, install the lower mounting screw on that side. Now you can go to the other side and 'lever' the airbox towards the carbs to get the other two on. The screw prevents the first two from popping off... Works great....
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 07-08-2011, 04:45 PM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                          X