No announcement yet.

Help Please! What did I do wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I greased the inside of connectors, blades and everything and then put together. Rookie mistake (rookie in the fact I had never used the dielectric grease). I was having no problems except except a voltage regulator issue. Nothing weird was occuring like it is now! Thought cleaning/greasing was the good maintenance but I did not understand the procedure and it cost me ride time yesterday and probably today too. Going to check out the blade type box, seems like a reasonable upgrade.
    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Checked out the Fuse box with the blades and looks great. How does one go about contacting TopCat. The member locator doesn't seem to be working. Got to get one of those fuseboxes right away!

Comment

Alright, alright you guys! I'm just sayin"..................just tryin' to get the guy to be certain that IS the problem before he starts throwing stuff at it.

But .....oh well.

Jeff, here's TC........http://www.xs11.com/forum/member.php?u=58
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Upgrades

You won't regret this upgrade. Also, "Geezer" makes the voltage regulator upgrade. Not sure if he's feeling better but that's another upgrade you wouldn't regret.
          mack
          79 XS 1100 SF Special
          HERMES
          original owner
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
          SPICA
          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
          IOTA
          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
          Frankford, Ont, Canada
          613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
            Couldn't wait until until tomorrow...put all connectors back together and now the neutral and tach work but when you use signal lights it shuts them off. There are four blocks under there. I know one goes to the aux. power tap, another 2 wire one is field coil, the 3 white wire one is stator and the other has several wires in it but I'm not sure what they are. I suspect this one needs cleaned again if the wires are literally "getting crossed".
            I doubt very much if the problems you're experiencing are in the plug connectors. You've got them identified, except the last one is your pick-up wires and goes to the TCI (also has the neutral light in there). If this is messed up, the bike won't start.

Your problem is in the fuse box; specifically, the turn signal circuit. Looking at the fuse panel from left to right, you have the taillight fuse, headlight, turn signals, ignition. The turn signal circuit is sort of a 'catch-all', as this also supplies power to the horns, neutral/oil/fuel light, and the tach. So that's where you want to look...

It would be helpful to say what year/model bike you're working on (I looked yours up in your profile) as there's quite a few differences in the wiring between the years/models.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
              You won't regret this upgrade. Also, "Geezer" makes the voltage regulator upgrade. Not sure if he's feeling better but that's another upgrade you wouldn't regret.
              I have this on mine. It's the bees knees.

I would check every plug that you've gooped the grease into, clean everything by using clutch or brake cleaner aerosol, with a large rag to collect the drips. Then reassemble. Personally, I don't use that grease stuff. I prefer to clean the contacts with De-Oxit and then plug them back up. I plan on cleaning mine every couple of years.

The fuse boxes are available readily on eBay. I used this exact one, although you may need a different one for the US spec wiring loom with more fuses? Not sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Way-Blad...item4aa68007b5

Next time. I'd use elbow connectors but, having been nearly wiped out when the bike went totally dead, I just used what I had available that day. I also cut off the top of the metal mounting plate as I thought it presented a 'chafe' hazard' and it also made routing the wires easier with the top cut off. Since it's worked perfectly since then, I've just left it as-is.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Sorry, we are working on a 1980 xs1100. The bike does start, or it did last night. Going out in a little bit when the rain stops to have another look at it. Hopefully someone came over in the middle of the night and fixed it for me...

Comment

Special or standard model?
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Good question---How does one tell? Side cover's don't have the emblems

Comment

Give us the VIN # off of the neck at the steering head. The first 3 #s is all we really need.

http://xs11.46.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=127
                      Last edited by BA80; 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

3J6 are first three numbers. Took it out for first highway trip tonight and put 29 lovely miles on her. Very fun! Never been on the highway without a fairing and wow what a difference but I'm getting used to it. About my issues: Did nothing with it today and it seems overnight helped as all is back to normal except the subpar voltage is the same, waiting on a regulator/rectifier to arrive in the mail. Sometimes I get the 14.5 and most times the best I can muster is about 12.8 volts under throttle. Hope the regulator solves the problem. Stator and field coil checked out fine. Happy to be riding again after 11 years!

Comment

3J6 = 1980 XS1100SG 3J6-000101 Black Red, New Ruby Red.......A Special, same as mine.

Last edited by BA80; 07-03-2011, 08:08 PM.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Ok, so this is not the "special" model then? What does make it the Special Version. Had a 650 Special years ago and thought the only difference was the seat.

Comment

Dammit Jeff! It IS a special.........read my post!
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Oh, picture had not come up when I read your post. So this is a Special!

Comment

Working...
                                X