Choke questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke questions

Can the choke mechanism on these carbs "hang up" even if lever is pushed all the way back in? If so, would one use the lock screw and plate on the choke rod to adjust the choke inside the carb. Or would this "hanging choke" be another case of needing a teardown and good cleaning?
    Richard
    '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
    '02 Honda VTX1800C

If by 'hang up' you mean you think you're getting too much gas even when the choke is off, those plunger have rubber tips than can wear out.

Or, if you mean one or more of those set screws is loose, then by all means close down the rod mechanism and re-seat those choke tabs. There is a detent in the rod for each of them.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Davinci, I did mean causing a rich condition and poor performance. Set screws are all tight, but did not know the plungers are rubber tipped. One more thing I will have to check out. Thanks for the response!
      Richard
      '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
      '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Yes those plungers are another item to not soak in gunk type carb cleaner. it will rot those end seals.DAMHIK. I just spray those with spray carb cleaner and wipe them down.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

Working...
        X