Clean up bars and Electrical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean up bars and Electrical?

Turning my 80 special into a cafe style racer and im trying to figure out what
    I can and cant remove. I would like to simplify the bars, buttons and gauges. also would like to clean up the electrical and move the battery.

Also I believe with the clubman bars i ordered im going to need different length cables then the orriginals.. Good sources ?
    79, 80 Specials

Originally posted by Hddndrgn View Post
    Turning my 80 special into a cafe style racer - - -
    Hi Jason,
    Gauges & console can be replaced by mini-gauges and LED idiot lights.
    A Standard tank will drop right on if your cafe concept includes a larger gas tank.
    Find a simplified wiring diagram to thin out the harness.
    The ignition switch can move to under the seat.
    That's the new bumstop seat that a smaller battery will fit in.
    XS650 Standard cables from MikesXS will be OK for length.
    You will be giving up the signal self-canceller, the stock tach's extra function as a charging indicator and the smaller battery may not have enough CCA to get a start on a cold morning.
    BTW, here's what I had to do to fit a larger than stock battery:-

Dunno if you want to go that far, even to get 550 CCA.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 06-30-2011, 07:25 PM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If you're trying to remain 'legal', pretty much everything on the bars needs to stay. To 'clean up' the look, have you considered running the wiring inside the bars? Drill a few holes in strategic spots, disassemble the plug connectors off the ends of the harness, then fish the wires through the bars. There's usually enough length to do this, particularly with lower bars.

Gauges? Just be careful in your choices here; the Yammy speedo uses a odd-ball ratio, so make sure you get one that matches or your speedo will be hopelessly inaccurate; Harley speedos won't even be close. Try MikesXS for those, you're looking for a 2260 rpm=60 mph unit.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

but be carful when you drill holes in the bars it could mess with the integraty of the bars...
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
        1980 gs1000g "stock"
        1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
        2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

yeah i am thinking smaller gauges and simpify the switches on the bars. maybe pick up a control from a dirt bike and move the start button to the frame somewhere.
          79, 80 Specials

Comment

make sure u keep us posted on the progress might insprie someone else to do the same thing
            _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
            1980 gs1000g "stock"
            1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
            2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Working...
            X