Kick Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick Starter

Is there any kick starters laying around your garage? If so I would be happy to take it off your hands. But if you don't, and you know what other models will fit please inform me. I like the electric start, but I would love to have the option to break my foot
    '78E

eBay will be your best best, usually several on there. any kick start off any xs11 will work for you. Or are you just looking for the kick lever? If so, you look under the battery tray, it may still be there hiding! Held on by a wing nut over on the right side near the oil fill hole.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The'rey quite an expensive item, in fact. I couldn't find one in teh UK when I wanted one, so I bought mine for $35 from States. It came with the metal cap and butterfly nut that hold it on
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

If you want the original, with the butterfly cover, I've got one. Put a permanent kickstarter on mine and don't need the original any more. Make me an offer and PM me your address.
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

get yourself a kicker from an xs650-750-850 off ebay. it's a simple bolt-on & looks cool, too.:rolleye (this is assuming your bike was made before 1980.)
          Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
          stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

tom clisham get yourself a kicker from an xs650-750-850 off ebay. it's a simple bolt-on & looks cool, too.:rolleye (this is assuming your bike was made before 1980.)
            Today 09:47 AM
            So the ones I have seen on Mikesxs will work? I wasnt sure, and i would like a permanent one. Is there and specific year on the 650's that fits and wont get in the way of the airbox? I figure once my engine is warm i would rather use the kick starter. My starter button only works when it wants to, Probably a ground issue I havent figured that out yet. But im tired of having a screw driver in my pocket, or getting it out of the little storage behind the cover.
            '78E

Comment

One thing to keep in mind if planning on using the kicker often is the XS11 wasn't really designed for kick starting. The original was fitted as an 'emergency only' bit, and the sidecover kicker shaft hole lacks the steel or bronze bushing that was fitted to bikes that had them intended for regular use. If planning regular use, you may want to stock up on covers...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                One thing to keep in mind if planning on using the kicker often is the XS11 wasn't really designed for kick starting. The original was fitted as an 'emergency only' bit, and the sidecover kicker shaft hole lacks the steel or bronze bushing that was fitted to bikes that had them intended for regular use. If planning regular use, you may want to stock up on covers...
                Hah, I knew there was a reason I removed the kick start gears in both my 79 motors.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Pure bull. Been kickin mine for YEARS.
                  Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                    Pure bull. Been kickin mine for YEARS.
                    I think your both right. I think it's stronger than Steve thinks it is, but it's not up to the strength that kickers built for primary use are that are designed to be used consistently for 30 years, I'm not sure it would handle that. But over several years I'm not so sure I'd get too worried about it, but I might look into retrofitting a bushing if I was planning on doing it on purpose, not just because I needed to. It's not like you WANTED to kick it.

I mean, your proof it's tougher than Steve it making it out to be, but I think it IS weaker than I would be comfortable with long term if I could help it. Then again, I wouldn't figure on kicking it just because the button didn't work reliably, just fix the stupid switch, those things aren't rocket science, if nothing else you could put a stupid radio shack push button in there to make it work.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I don't think it would break, but I can see that hole getting reamed out and ending up with a nice leak...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                        I don't think it would break, but I can see that hole getting reamed out and ending up with a nice leak...
                        The thing is though that for there to be any real noticeable problem you would have to wear through the inner seating surface that the seal sits down on (and the seal itself) before the outer case would be effected.

I would thing that if there were really to be any problem it would be internally where the kick shaft seats in the case, maybe there is some wobble from lack of support on the opposite end when you kick it.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          The thing is though that for there to be any real noticeable problem you would have to wear through the inner seating surface that the seal sits down on (and the seal itself) before the outer case would be affected..
                          All you would need would be to oval-shape the shaft hole a bit allowing some shaft movement, then the seal won't be able to do its job...

I'm not saying it won't work, simply that wear of the hole could be an issue. Yamaha didn't like running shafts on aluminum holes; they went to the trouble of fitting a bronze bushing on the shifter shaft (a much lighter-duty use, although it does see more 'cycles'), and generally used steel kicker shaft bushings on other bikes that had permanently-installed kickers. It may be possible to fab a steel bushing and bore the cover for a press-fit, but they didn't put a lot of material around that shaft boss so that may weaken the cover too much.

Like I said, the XS wasn't designed to be kick-started....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

yamaha xs750 kicker is what i got on the judge.... works good no clearance issues
                            _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                            1980 gs1000g "stock"
                            1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                            2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Working...
                            X