My "new" 80 XS1100 has electrical/charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "new" 80 XS1100 has electrical/charging issue

New to this site and really enjoy it! Back on a bike after 11 year hiatus. Brother in Law bought me a 1980 xs1100 in Missouri and brought it to me last Saturday. Him being certified Harley mechanic we did the things necessary to get it up and running (went thru tank, carbs, ect) and it purrs like a kitten. It did however arrive with a home made light switch/setup run directly off the battery (previous owner had charging issues) and the charging was not working. Thanks to your great site I found an easy alternator test and preformed it today. Did ohm test on stator and found it to be fine, also the regulator to my surprise was fine. Put it back together and sure enough light popped right on and it was pulling a 14.5 volts under throttle. Keep in mind I did nothing but the testing. Started it later to go for a ride and charging system down again. Performed all tests again and this time the regulator failed. No more charging or light coming on by itself. Put it back together and said the hell with it. Just went out to put it away for the night and when I started it to move it the damn light came on and the alternator is clearly working again. I'm at my wits end with this one! I'm not seeing any bad ground issues, what would be by next move. Brother in Law is 6 hours away and doesn't know much about the Yamaha setup, I'm hoping you guys can help. Thanks
    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

First place to look is the three white wire connector behind the fuse box bracket. Pull the right side plastic side cover off. Then remove the three screws holding the fuse box bracket to the side of the battery box. You will want to remove the connector to the signal flasher under the fuse box so the panel will move out of the way.

You will see behind there a couple connectors, one of which should have three large white wires coming in and out of it. It may be burned or melted, or just corroded. It is a common point of trouble.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Don't know were Winchester Ks is but there are some great XSives and XS tech people in KC and around Wichita.

You most likely have a connector or fuse that is making intermittent contact.

Check ALL your electrical plugs, particularly the ones behind the fuse box, to the rectifier and the fuses for good connection. The fuse panel is one of the biggest electrical problems on these old bikes. Some light emory cloth to clean all the fuse contacts and make sure they grip the fuses tightly.

Connectors, and fuse panel is where you should start. I can almost certainly say that is where your problem lies.

Welcome to the board Jeff.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Dammit don!!!!!!!!!!
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I don't know where Winchester, KS is either...I am from Nebraska. Anyways I guess I from what is being said I need to focus on dirty connectors / bad wiring/ cleaning fuse block and forget about replacing parts for now?

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
            I don't know where Winchester, KS is either...I am from Nebraska. Anyways I guess I from what is being said I need to focus on dirty connectors / bad wiring/ cleaning fuse block and forget about replacing parts for now?
            Hmmmm...........could have sworn that's what it said in your location when I typed that post.

It IS probably just a bad connection somewhere.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Parts in general, and electrical ones in particular, typically do not work well, then not work, then wokr fine again. That is typically a tell-tale sign of a loose, bad, or dirty connection. Reallistically, it is never a bad idea to go through the entire harness and clean all of the connectors. For your particular problem, the one behind the fuse box is very often the culprit.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Is there a spray or dressing or something to help clean & keep clean the connectors? From what I have seen so far they look ok to the eye but is there a spray that might help? I am also changing out all fuse's. They are not blown but what the heck.
                Last edited by neJeff; 06-30-2011, 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Deoxit I think it is called is a good electrical connection spray for cleaning. Also pack all the connectors before reassembly with dielectric grease to keep moisture and dirt out.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah Jeff, the auto parts store will have electrical cleaner around where the carb cleaner and brake cleaner are.

You can't always see the corrosion but it's there.

I hope this get's it working for ya.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Damn... Deoxit... I got a can less than 2 feet away from me and never thought of it! I use it to clean control pots on old stereo equipment. I'll also pack all in the grease as mentioned. Got to get all fluids changed out this weekend too. Owned this thing since Saturday and it's already taking over my life but a great way to spend $750.00! Thanks again guys

Comment

Crazy isn't it!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                        X