Bad Vent cap on gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Vent cap on gas tank

So heres my problem, Ill be riding along and all of a sudden my bike starts to peter out and run like its running out of gas....after you stop and shut the ignition off you can hear hissing from the fuel tank, after you pop it you hear a loud pop of air and the bike starts right up and runs like a top...all the way to 85 cause thats all the faster my ol 11 goes .....has anyone heard of a rebuild kit or done any work on these? is it something i can get fixed up or am I just going to have to ride with a spare key in the filler so i can pop it when it has trouble? lol
    thanks in advance guys
    Abe
    1981 XS1100H Venturer #458
    poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

My Parents Told Me I Could Be Anything I Wanted.....So I Became An @$$hole

No kit needed. There are three tiny screws to take the seal/vent part apart. There are a few discs in there and they have a small hole in each for the vent and they can get clogged. Poke the hole clean, reassemble and your good to go
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If you take the screws out of the bottom of the cap and seperate it from the rubber gasket, you will see a fiber disk in there that has a tiny vent hole in it, clean everything up and reassemble.
      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Oops, Nate and Ozz type faster than I do!

Abe, there is a parts diagram on the Yamaha web site that shows the parts in the gas cap, take a look at it before you try to disassemble the cap and clean the vent.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Nate beat us both. LOL
          Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
          Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
          Pod Filters
          DynoJet Kit
          T.C.'s Fuse Block
          Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
          Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
          V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
            Oops, Nate and Ozz type faster than I do!
            That's irritating sometimes ain't it?
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

thats what i was hoping for....a nice simple fix in fact that was my first guess but has anyone ever had this happen?
              Abe
              poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

Comment

Yep, it is not an uncommon ailment for these old bikes....I did a complete writeup on how to do a full disassembly and reassembly and replace the gasket....HERE
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Check out this thread about disassembly and cleaning:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25549

If you need to replace that gasket, note the last pic in the initial post. He found a thermostat gasket that fits perfectly, and gives the part number. I replaced this gasket myself a few weeks ago, and it works quite nicely.
                  XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                  -- Jack Burton

Comment

and here

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32793
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

beautiful, sorry about the delay in thanking you guys again but the fish have to be chased once in a while..... this site never ceases to amaze me unfortunately by the time i see a post i know much about someone else has taken the words right off my keyboard lol...thanks again
                      Abe

Comment

Working...
                      X