Was this case opened before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this case opened before?

I'm cleaning the base gasket material off and noticed at the case seal, what looks to be a tracking of residue going upward. It looks to me like the engine was upside down when gasket sealant was applied & it dripped downward. I can't imagine Yamaha would have done any sloppy sealing of the case halves. I'm guessing the case has been opened up along the way, or am I missing something.

82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

I can't imagine Yamaha doing what's in the pix. Even if they did slop the gasket compound like that, you'd think they'd have stored the engine the right way up after manufacture......... It does look too messy to be OEM. Also, I think they used silver gasket compound?
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

No, that's pretty typical. I've cleaned a couple of these motors and found sealer smeared around...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Steve,

How about that! I never would have thought that to be SOP from Yamaha. It is such a small detail, seems a bit lax on Yamaha's part and their machines are built with such exacting detail. Interesting they let it cure with the case upside down.
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
          ..It is such a small detail, seems a bit lax on Yamaha's part and their machines are built with such exacting detail...
          I'll have to disagree with that statement... While their engineering is very good, their fit/finish quality has never been all that good. I was amazed by the amount of welding slag I had to knock off the SG frame before painting it; it was everywhere. Even Yamaha sort of admitted to it; one of the selling points of the MNS's was 'better quality control and finish' as compared to the 'plain' models. The one main thing that's always disappointed me on Jap bikes is their mediocre chrome; if I could afford it, I'd have every last bit re-done. I did that on my XS2 that I owned, but that was when plating was still relatively inexpensive...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The joys of Mass Production.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yea, I've had a similar mark on my 81 since day one.

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct, Tkat fork on )
              79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
              X