Carb line question: Octopus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mace Bronco View Post
    Thanks again. It was indeed a kink in the line. I got this blue line that is not very sturdy and kinked when I got everything jammed in there. That airbox is a nightmare. Do I have to rejet if I put on single filters? Caused I'm definitely not going to go through that crap again. Anyway it seems to be running ok with an occasional back fire. How can I check the coil wires aside from grabbing hold and getting a taste of the electric chair?

Oh and I don't have access to a set of sync gagues. any suggestioins for finding a set in the Detroit area?
    The airbox it tough at first but you quickly figure it out and then it becomes much easier. Your life will in the long run be much better if you keep the airbox because the bike will run better with much less effort.

As to the sync tools, the BEST in my opinion is the Morgan Carbtune http://www.carbtune.com/ little spendy but WELL worth it and very easy to use with no calibration requited.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Do I have to rejet if I put on single filters?
      Best answer I can give you is Maybe....

How can I check the coil wires aside from grabbing hold and getting a taste of the electric chair?
      If you mean pick up coils, down on side of engine under cover on left side, pull on them and see if they hourglass or seem to stretch. You can also disconnect the plug connector at the TCI and measure ohms through the coils, keep measuring while tugging on wires. If it increases, you have a break.

For the ignition coils under the tank, best way to measure resistance on both low and high side. On high side, remove the plug caps for measuring, also measure plug caps resistance.

Oh and I don't have access to a set of sync gagues. any suggestioins for finding a set in the Detroit area?
      Several ways to do this, I do it one at a time with one Mity Vac for a vacuum gage. Several ideas on recent threads for how to do this, as well as a tech tip.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Thanks again. It was indeed a kink in the line. I got this blue line that is not very sturdy and kinked when I got everything jammed in there. That airbox is a nightmare. Do I have to rejet if I put on single filters? Caused I'm definitely not going to go through that crap again. Anyway it seems to be running ok with an occasional back fire. How can I check the coil wires aside from grabbing hold and getting a taste of the electric chair?

Actually with some practice it gets to be not too bad. And there are a couple of mods you can do to it that make it even easier, has to do with removing or modifying the top mount so you can move the box back a good bit more when removing or replacing the carbs. I am thinking really hard about doing that mod, it sounds like just the ticket, stock intake with almost pod like convenience for taking the carbs in and out. As for the lines, if you get them routed right, it's pretty simple even with the box to get the tank on and off without kinking anything, many have found it works best to feed the left carbs from the right petcock and the right carbs from the left petcock, you need a bit more line for that, but it leave more slack, both for filters and so it's easy to just turn the tank around and set it where the seat normally is to sync and tune the carbs, no more need for a special tank to do that (although I want to put together something anyways, just to make it look professional).
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
        X