Rough Running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Running.

I finally got my bike running but its only half running. I called Cruiser and ran a few things past him but I decided to post here also. After I had left it running awhile I took his advice and sprayed water on the pipes. One and two barely sizzled but 3 and 4 steamed right off. I had already changed coils from a parts bike and upgraded to the NGK's iraniums. I have a set of black Mike xs coils ready to install but trying to save them for the 80 standard. Any other ideals?
    68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
    76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
    79 special (skull bike)
    79 special (parts bike w/title)
    79 special
    80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
    81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
    81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
    80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
    81 650 maxim
    81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
    88 Zx 600r (Sold)
    01 Gz 250

Originally posted by exquized1 View Post
    I finally got my bike running but its only half running. I called Cruiser and ran a few things past him but I decided to post here also. After I had left it running awhile I took his advice and sprayed water on the pipes. One and two barely sizzled but 3 and 4 steamed right off. I had already changed coils from a parts bike and upgraded to the NGK's iraniums. I have a set of black Mike xs coils ready to install but trying to save them for the 80 standard. Any other ideals?
    I would first suggest getting rid of the iridium plugs until you get it running right. Once they foul they usually dont clean up so they are done for.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You dont have a clogged or gummed up fuel line or petcock feeding 1-2 do you? What do the plugs look like on 1-2? Its probably running rich. I just bought a gunson colortune for about $65 to make sure all my cylinders are on the level. Carbs are not my strong point but the $300 + parts quote from the motorcycle shop to tune them for me was enough to make me try myself.
      1980 XS1100G
      -4:2 exhaust
      -Pods
      -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

I I have a set of black Mike xs coils ready to install but trying to save them for the 80 standard.
        Based on recent comments her about the MIke's XS coils, you'd be better off selling them and getting green Dynas. From what I've read, they're very poor quality and don't last long. It hardly seems worth the upheaval to fit them if they're going to stop working only a few thousand miles later.....
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by New2Me View Post
          You dont have a clogged or gummed up fuel line or petcock feeding 1-2 do you? What do the plugs look like on 1-2? Its probably running rich. I just bought a gunson colortune for about $65 to make sure all my cylinders are on the level. Carbs are not my strong point but the $300 + parts quote from the motorcycle shop to tune them for me was enough to make me try myself.
          I would second that... check your plugs, are they wet/rich? I would start leaning towards fuel delivery vs ignition.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

One and two barely sizzled but 3 and 4 steamed right off.
            The common link between #1 and #2 is fuel supply. Forget about coils and plugs for the time being and focus on why those two cylinders are not getting fuel.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
              The common link between #1 and #2 is fuel supply. Forget about coils and plugs for the time being and focus on why those two cylinders are not getting fuel.
              Or are getting too much fuel. Lean mixture generally runs hot, rich runs cool.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
              X