Carb ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb ID

I searched for Carb ID but I didn't come up with anything useful. Is there something on here that explains how to identify the different carbs that come on these bikes? I dont want to open them up until I have the parts ready to put in them.
    1980 XS1100G
    -4:2 exhaust
    -Pods
    -Who knows what the future holds..

The 78 - 79 carbs have the mixture screws sticking up, 4 "fuel Ts" 2 for fuel and 2 for bowl vents, and the bowl drain screw is in the bottom of the bowl.

80-83 the mixture screws ar sunken into the body, 2 fuel Ts, and the bowl drain screw is in the side of the bowl.

There are quite a few other differences but these are the easiest to spot.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

There are two basic types, early 78-79 and later 80 and up. The XJ had a different type of choke than the XS, cable operated versus lever on left side.

The simplest way to see if they are the early or late is the number of Ts between the two left and right sets. If there are four total, two top and two bottom then it is surely the early model. If there are only two, then they are the later style. Only the 81 version had the side drain for the bowl, 80 still had the bottom plug. Also, the early model carbs the idle adjustment screw points toward the top of the carbs and is on the back side by the air box. The later model cabs the idle adjustment screw points down and is on the engine side. You can also look at the inlet bell of the carbs. The early models have three openings in the inlet bell, the later models have four (fourth one is the bowl vent, thus no need for upper Ts).

Now, it will still be important to look inside if they look like 80 model carbs. Some of the earlier issued 80 year carbs still had the covered pilot jet like the 78-79 model carbs with the crossover from the emulsion tube to the pilot jet tunnel, but all else is the same as the other 80 model carbs.

Honestly, you need to open them up, get the parts out first, then you will know what needs replacing. Otherwise you will be buying parts you may not need, or missing parts you may find you need.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I agree with DG. You need to open them up and see whats goin on inside them. Take them apart, soak the bodies, bowls, and covers in Hot water and Pine-sol over night. While you are soaking them you can order your parts. Then you can cut a day out of your waiting time at least while they are soaking. Give them a good rinse in Hot water afterwards. Use a wire brush on anything REALLY gummed up. Spray all your jets with carb cleaner, and just give the diaphrams a good wipe down (don't use something harsh on them as they are spendy to replace)

You could have a number of problems you don't know about untill you open them up. Best to know what you are getting into before ordering parts. Find out by looking. Good luck
        1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
        1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
        1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          The 78 - 79 carbs have the mixture screws sticking up, 4 "fuel Ts" 2 for fuel and 2 for bowl vents, and the bowl drain screw is in the bottom of the bowl.

80-83 the mixture screws ar sunken into the body, 2 fuel Ts, and the bowl drain screw is in the side of the bowl.

There are quite a few other differences but these are the easiest to spot.
          Greg, did the '80's have the same style float bowl as the earlier and then in '81 they switched to the side drain bowls?
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            Greg, did the '80's have the same style float bowl as the earlier and then in '81 they switched to the side drain bowls?
            My name ain't Greg...but...

QUOTE=DGXSER;331294]Only the 81 version had the side drain for the bowl, 80 still had the bottom plug.[/QUOTE]

Granted, I believe the XJ also got the side drain screw as well, I was speaking of the XS models.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              My name ain't Greg...but...

QUOTE=DGXSER;331294]Only the 81 version had the side drain for the bowl, 80 still had the bottom plug.
              Granted, I believe the XJ also got the side drain screw as well, I was speaking of the XS models.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I quoted greg, and your post wasnt up there when I first clicked on the thread and then walked away for some coffee and then came back and read the thread.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sorry for the abreviated post earier but I'm at work and sometimes I have to act like I'm actually working.

Thanks Don. However, my SG had the side drains on the bowls before I put the earlier carbs on.

They may have been changed before though. Who knows.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  ...my SG had the side drains on the bowls before I put the earlier carbs on.
                  My SG also has the side-drain bowls on the carbs, so that may have been a later-in-the-year running change...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I tried putting the float bowls from '81 carbs on the carbs for my '78 and found that they do not fit. The brass tube that goes down into the float bowl is slightly moved and the hole in the bowl is also moved. So yeah it must have been a switch mid year cause they don't interchange.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It's not that the brass tube is different, it's the carb bodies and bowls that are different. The side-drain bowls are slightly smaller inside, and hit on the float posts of the early carbs. I discovered that when I attempted to repair a broken post with one of my 'kits' and the bowl wouldn't go on. You can fit the early bowl to the late carb, but not vice-versa.

You'll also have trouble with the larger brass floats in these bowls; you have to use the plastic floats for enough clearance...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                        It's not that the brass tube is different, it's the carb bodies and bowls that are different. The side-drain bowls are slightly smaller inside, and hit on the float posts of the early carbs. I discovered that when I attempted to repair a broken post with one of my 'kits' and the bowl wouldn't go on. You can fit the early bowl to the late carb, but not vice-versa.

You'll also have trouble with the larger brass floats in these bowls; you have to use the plastic floats for enough clearance...
                        I don't have the '78 carbs off and open to compare but I though the brass tube was moved a little more towards center and the hole in the bowl was round rather than oval on the earlier carbs.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

[QUOTE=crazy steve;331334] You can fit the early bowl to the late carb, but not vice-versa.

I think this is what happened on the carbs for my 80G because mine have the drain on the bottom ad apparently it should be on the side?
                          1980 XS11G 22XXX miles.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            I don't have the '78 carbs off and open to compare but I though the brass tube was moved a little more towards center and the hole in the bowl was round rather than oval on the earlier carbs.
                            I double-checked that, and you're right; they did move the tube slightly, about .1", so the early/late bowls won't interchange. But the late type bottom drain and side drain bowls have different internal dimensions, as the bottom-drain bowl would fit over my 'kit', but the side-drain wouldn't...

Trey, there apparently was a mix of bowl types on the '80s carbs. Most seem to have the bottom drain bowls, but some (off higher serial number bikes) appear to have came with the side drain bowls, assuming a PO didn't swap carbs. Makes absolutely no difference in carb performance...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

The only real difference between the 80 and 81 carbs is the jetting and the bowl drain. Every set of 80 carbs I have seen and worked on, three or four and one that was bought off the showroom by the current owner have the bottom drain. The side drain is a nice feature, so I have no doubt some got swapped around. Or could be an entire carb swap which is not uncommon.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X