Caliper Rebuild ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper Rebuild ?

I am in the process of reassembling the front calipers on my SG and noticed that the kits I got do no come with the metal band that was on the factory dust boot. My question is should I reuse the old ones or not use any?:

Originally posted by DCII View Post
    I am in the process of reassembling the front calipers on my SG and noticed that the kits I got do no come with the metal band that was on the factory dust boot. My question is should I reuse the old ones or not use any?:
    Reuse the old ones. Make sure that there is no grease or oil or fluid on the boot or the clip. If there is, the clip will very annoyingly keep slipping off the caliper every time you put it on. It has to be absolutely dry and clean for the clip to stay on..... def. reuse the old one.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

+1........no worries.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, the more I thought about it there wouldn't be much holding the dust covers on without the clips. Now to get all the rust off the old ones.

Comment

just to double check before i disassemble the front brake caliper, can I use something like a needle-nose pliers to pull the cirlclip / dust-cover ring out? And after that, how do I re-'tighten' it? Use the pliers and squeeze the ring together?
          79 XS11

Comment

It's not a strong circlip, just a thin wire ring that can be installed with your fingers. Just remove it with a small screwdriver and when installing, expand it and place it over the seated dust boot to hold it in place. It may take a few tries but you'll get it, it's kind of a finicky procedure.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

cool thanks!
              79 XS11

Comment

Working...
              X