Opinions of these instead of aftermarket pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions of these instead of aftermarket pods

I used these on 2 seadoos in the 90s. It noticably increased the acceleration. I had to richen the mixture and it was a rewarding modification. (mixture adj done by a screw on those PWC). Anyway we all know our beloved big Yamahas need the velocity stacks that are part of the oem system. This "Vortex" designed into these Prok arrestors does the same thing. To make them an actual filter I thought about stretching an oiled foam outer filter around the stainless steel mesh. Just a thought right now- the Proks are very pricey! I would look for used ones if I decide to try.

Thanks for the photo, interesting design. They have round cylinder filters that you can get already to put on your bike. The central "vortex" appears to be a CONE shape to help direct the perpendicular air flow around the corner and into the intake. I would think that you could possibly get a small FUNNEL and mount it inside the cheaper cylinder foam filters and get the same affect. Others have talked about the turbulence that occurs to the air flow when coming in from filters that are so close to the carbs, and that's part of the theory of the extended mounting tube...aka velocity stack style.. to help straighten out the air flow before it gets to the intake bell.

However, I don't know how much "more" they would enhance the performance over just plain Pods alone? The big "debate" if there really even is one, is that Pods do NOT really enhance performance, and if the bike is not jetted/tuned for the pods/increased airflow/lean condition, that they can actually reduce performance. Folks like them for the ease of R&R of the carbs with Pods, some like the looks, some the sound, etc.! YMMV

As you stated, their $$ Price might deter you from actually getting them. If you have the OEM air box right now, it might be a much cheaper Experiment for you to just get the cheap Emgo filters, and the cheap LOWES mounting pieces....or the mikesXS XSPerformance style filters from Partsnmore.com (because Mikes is out of stock) and see what you think of the performance/ throttle response....remember you "may" need to rejet, vs just adjusting the pilot screws. I would think this would be the better/cheaper and therefore REVERSIBLE mod you might want to persue vs. these $$ things!?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X