Windjammer verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windjammer verdict

Well my verdict is in on the effects of installing a WJ4 on my XJ1100 Maxim. Since I've owned modern sport -tour machines, I thought i would turn the XJ into a LD tour machine. I had sold my more modern bike so thats when i decided to try a Windjammer. For the past 3 riding seasons I've been riding with the WJ. I liked the ability to block the wind on a long day in the saddle.
    Recently I have become less enthralled at the dynamics of the fairing at any hwy speeds over 75.Several things stirke me as negatives. First you lose sight of the road directly in front of you thus you feel more detatched from it. Secondly the windscreen is too tall and would need to be cut way down. thus thirdly too much buffeting in the wind. fourthly, fuel mileage drops considerably. Fifth, extra weight and drag on the bike slow it down. requires more throttle to acclereate and maintain speed...thus again using more gas. And sixth....Handling is better without the WJ...And last but not least...The bike looks better sans WJ to boot.
    So for me the WJ was a neat experiment but the bike just does everything else so much better without it the exception being... blocking the wind...So thats it for the WJ...no need to keep it as I'll never put it back on...
    1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
    2001 Honda ST1100

To each his own.....BTW, everything stated negative about the fairings has no merit, but it's your story and stickin' to it. Ride safe!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Fairings aren't for everybody... I've never been a fan either, and for pretty much the reasons stated...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have to agree with the fact that none of those observations making any sense to me merit wise. For one, if the windshield it too tall, cut it down, you are actually SUPPOSED to cut it down to fit you. It's supposed to according to the manual be one inch below the horizon when your sitting in riding position on the bike, I have mine a little shorter than that which is where I like it. As for the buffeting, there has got to be something else wrong with the bike or the installation of the fairing, I've run mine well past the point of the speedometer being pegged without buffeting in both smooth conditions and windy conditions with very little buffeting. That said, I have a vented shield and opening the vents actually does cut down on what buffeting there is.

I'll agree, top speed is reduced, and of course gas mileage has got to be compromised some, but I get gas mileage in the same range as many others without fairings so it can't be too bad, and of course that's going to be speed based, the faster you go the worse it will get.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

hat said, I have a vented shield and opening the vents actually does cut down on what buffeting there is.

+1 for the vents! They do NOT paticularly provide any air for rider, but do create an equalizing flow on backside of windshield. My vents are cracked open approx. 1/2" at ALL times. Makes a huge difference coming up on either corner of an 18wheeler with a box trailer! Bike does NOT bob around whatsoever. My ST(and other sport-touring models) have a permanent opening slotted just above the headlight just for this type of air flow, and it tracks and is pulled right up the inside of windshield and away. Having put a vented taller than standard windshield with the new Vetter vents on my Venturer I opened them slightly in hopes of creating the same effect. Intentionally jumped out on the Interstate and ran right off the left rear corner of an 18wheeler(late fall and cool weather to better aviod an alligator coming off the truck). That was at approx.80mph and bike had absolutly no bobbing around as it previously had. I also have a Laminar on my ST and have seen a couple here mount them at the top of there Vetter winshields also. This will create a slight more down pressure on front of bike at speed, equalize left/right forces from mother nature as well as cause airflow to clear top of helmet of rider and most of it for passenger. This was the result being mounted on my ST. That Clearview windshield with the cat-eyes on each end is the stock height for the ST which allows me to look ahead over the top of it. Has had no effect on fuel mileage as the bike still gets 50+mpg@80+mph. constantly on LD rides. BTW.....with the lowers on my factory original Venturer, it gains an extra 2mpg on a LD ride, provided I don't hang out on the road pegs. This type of comparison has been over a long period of time(longer than most here have had here XS's), so IMO that qualifies as verified info. and my help those who want some handling improvment dealing with mother nature. Also the Venturer@ 7600rpm in fifth is solid and 'planted'. But since that was a while back and memory fades, to the best of my recolition that was STILL only 85mph!
          Last edited by motoman; 06-25-2011, 01:44 PM.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well these are just my personal observations...based on before and after experiences on my bike. I also have the vented windscreen on the WJ and compared to my ST1100 this fairing is not doing a vey good job of managing smooth airflow...not to mention a reduction in weight of 38 pounds with it off the bike.
            Now certain bikes like yours Brant are made to be faired and were from the factory. Mine's an add on and it always felt like it was too. So I'd certainly expect y'all's mileage to vary on that.
            1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
            2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

I put a WJ III on my XJ11 and love it. I haven't notice any significant reduction it gas mileage and recently pegged the spedo with the tach still climbing within 3/4 mile. I find the handling has improved. prior to the WJ I would get a little front end shimmy at 75 MPH, since installing the WJ that has gone away.
              I've run up and down the 101 Oregon coast highway down to Crescent City CA where the wind coming off the ocean can be hazardous. I didn't really feel any more blown around than before the WJ. Then again I'm 6'3" 290 lbs and have no problem throwing this bike around.
              But hey some like Farings and some like naked...
              82' XJ1100 turned "bagger" with Vetter Fairing.

Comment

xj fairing

Howdy,,,,I have an xj1100 with the factory x1 fairing and think its the best design out there. Having had bikes with all kinds of frame mount, clipon,,,,,this fairing tops them all....not too wide like the Pacifico, cuts the wind like a knife, mileage is still close to 40, doesnt shake, holds a lot of stuff in the covers, etc. Only drawback is a sealed headlight with the plastic cover,,,,,I guess it could overheat, but never had a problem. On the recent Colorado rally,,,,the guys decided to pass a bunch of cars,,,,,,so Roo, Pete, Jerry pull out and pass while we were doing over 80,,,,then we cranked it to get around the cars......lo and behold the xj was over 120 and singing like a screaming hornet,,,,with the x1 fairing stable and quiet. So,,,,in summary, if you can get, have the x1 factory xj fairing grab it asap.
                The windshield is cut so I can look over it at all times unless its raining,,,then I can duck down a few inches for relief from pelting rain as it flows over my head. Just bought a new windshield for it,,,,ran 120.00, too lazy to try and make one with all the curves. Good luck, first time a rock hits your face without a fairing you will understand why riding is much safer with one.....Mike in Sun DIego
                mike
                1982 xj1100 maxim
                1981 venture bagger
                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                X