Superglue as Bondo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superglue as Bondo!

I just wanted to mention that if you need to repair any gouges, or in my case, fill the holes for the emblems, on the plastic sidecovers, 'Bugs superglue trick works great! Took about ten minutes for both, including sanding! Slick!!
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Do you have a link to that? I was gonna fill the emblem holes on my side panels, and it sounds like this would be perfect.
    -Whatever it is, it's better in the wind.

1980 XS1100SG - "Bluesy Suzy"
    -Oil cooler
    -TKAT Fork Brace
    -Drilled Airbox w/ K&N
    -Engine guards
    -Speed Bleeders
    -TC's blade fuse block (waiting to be installed)

Comment

JB weld works great for those side emblems too.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by mr_misfit138 View Post
        Do you have a link to that? I was gonna fill the emblem holes on my side panels, and it sounds like this would be perfect.
        Don't need a link; all I did was put some masking tape over the outside, filled the hole with superglue (liquid, not gel), then pushed some common baking soda into the glue. The soda dries the glue almost instantly, I did it two more times to get a little thickness. Flipped the covers, pulled off the tape, and repeat. Sand the 'lump' down flat, and you're done...

This was posted for rebuilding the locking tab where part of the sidecover latch is broken off, where it also works great, so if it'll take that use, this is no sweat...
        Last edited by crazy steve; 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

With the superglue, do you have to do a little and then let it cure, and then some more, and then some more... until the holes are filled, or did you back the hole with something and fill it completely in one go? I guess that's what I should have asked in my other post.

-Oil cooler
          -TKAT Fork Brace
          -Drilled Airbox w/ K&N
          -Engine guards
          -Speed Bleeders

Comment

Here are a few thoughts that I wanted to unload:

Superglue (cyanoacrylate) sets up by reacting with moisture in the air. POR-15 is a cyanoacrylate paint.

The thought of mixing Epoxy sounded excessive for some of my simple gluing/filling jobs, but after doing it a few times, it is really not that bad. And epoxy is more chemical resistant than superglue. (but harder to remove if you mess up)

You can use various fillers (talc, glass blasting media, metal shavings, etc) with superglue or epoxy to save on adhesive, reduce shrinkage, and possibly improve strength.
            Last edited by CRXSi90; 06-23-2011, 08:21 PM. Reason: slow at the keyboard.........
            '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
            '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Thanks! Looks like I got one more thing to add my XS to-do list for next week!

-Oil cooler
              -TKAT Fork Brace
              -Drilled Airbox w/ K&N
              -Engine guards
              -Speed Bleeders

Comment

The baking soda 'cures' the superglue almost instantly. It also 'shrinks' the glue, so you'll need to do at least a couple of applications to get the same thickness or more as the cover; I went extra on the inside. Like I said, it only took me about 10 minutes...

I also used this method to fill a few gouges in one; apply some glue, 'dip' the cover in the soda, repeat until you know it's filled.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

With the superglue, do you have to do a little and then let it cure, and then some more, and then some more... until the holes are filled, or did you back the hole with something and fill it completely in one go? I guess that's what I should have asked in my other post.
                  You want to start with just a small amount of glue. Just enough to wet the surface. Then lightly dust the glue with baking soda. If you try to do too much at once, the shrinkage will prevent the glue from sticking and the baking soda won't be able to reach down to the bottom of the glue to make it "cure". The trick is to drip, dust, drip, dust - until you have a mound just higher than you need. It then sands/grinds/paints just like plastic.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    You want to start with just a small amount of glue. Just enough to wet the surface. Then lightly dust the glue with baking soda. If you try to do too much at once, the shrinkage will prevent the glue from sticking and the baking soda won't be able to reach down to the bottom of the glue to make it "cure". The trick is to drip, dust, drip, dust - until you have a mound just higher than you need. It then sands/grinds/paints just like plastic.
                    Thanks, Bug. That's another thing too... What are the major differences in prepping and painting the plastic panels, as opposed to the gas tank? I've never attemped painting plastic automotive parts before.

-Oil cooler
                    -TKAT Fork Brace
                    -Drilled Airbox w/ K&N
                    -Engine guards
                    -Speed Bleeders

Comment

Thanks, Bug. That's another thing too... What are the major differences in prepping and painting the plastic panels, as opposed to the gas tank? I've never attemped painting plastic automotive parts before.
                      One thing is that the old plastics will absorb the paints quite a bit so the preping and the pricing is more important to seal the plastics and get the finish coat on the plastic to match the tank finish coat.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

...That's another thing too... What are the major differences in prepping and painting the plastic panels, as opposed to the gas tank? I've never attemped painting plastic automotive parts before.
                        All I'm going to do to mine is wet-sand them until smooth, leaving as much of the OEM paint as possible. Getting a bond to some plastics can be tough, so seeing how the original paint has stuck all these years, leaving that as a base should do the trick.

But I don't think the plastic Yamaha used is anything too weird, so 'normal' prep should be ok. You won't need a etching primer though...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                        X