No announcement yet.

Dyna Coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put another way. Its been proven other coils can be put on these bikes. Never been proven it is a need. Started as an option , turned into a must do.
    I did it (not me ) so you should syndrome .
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

+1 what SF said!.........changes approach associated with tuning/main jetting.......ever so slightly but as a 'lean burn' motor with emissions a manufacturer concern, hotter coils with the more precise spark from the Iridiun plugs, tis even a leaner burn......not good in my books without making a few 'richen-up' changes............never much cared for 'holed' pistons or collapsed rings......JMHO.....
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        +1 what SF said!.........changes approach associated with tuning/main jetting.......ever so slightly but as a 'lean burn' motor with emissions a manufacturer concern, hotter coils with the more precise spark from the Iridiun plugs, tis even a leaner burn......not good in my books without making a few 'richen-up' changes............never much cared for 'holed' pistons or collapsed rings......JMHO.....
        can you water that down for people like me. I hope I';m not alone here but that's OK if so. A lot of times I feel that way. But don't worry much a bout it.

When I have a question I ask. If I have a comment sometimes I make it.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

He's saying these engines run a bit lean anyways, especially the 80+ motors, and the hotter spark and possibly hotter plugs often put in with them are supposed to make the engine run leaner, and leaner means hotter which can melt the pistons if you don't rejet to adjust the mixture to make it richer to adjust. It's certainly a reason for me to not change them, cause my plugs are just about right, so changing would likely mean rejetting and why break what's working just fine right now? I may do the plug wire replacement, but I might just go with the NGK wire splices that might let me replace all but what's inside the coils with new wire.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Not wanting to turn this into an HBT discussion, but for folks who have badly worn/aged/rotted plug wires that are crumbling apart as they are touched, then I would prefer to put on newer stronger coils and better insulated wires than "try" to do the wire replacement process having to do dremmel surgery on the OEM coils. Yes, if your OEM coils/wires are in good condition, then sure this is a LUXURY mod, but many folks have reported much better/easier starting, and stronger running engines with the high output coils. Others also reported the elimination of low rpm misses and such with the new coils by possibly providing stronger sparks at lower voltage levels during low rpm low alternator output. SO...we're just trying to provide the info necessary so that folks who do need to do the MOD can proceed with the correct parts and techniques.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              many folks have reported much better/easier starting, and stronger running engines with the high output coils. Others also reported the elimination of low rpm misses and such with the new coils by possibly providing stronger sparks at lower voltage levels during low rpm low alternator outputT.C.
              Absolutely. My bike ran OK with the OEM coils....but with 3 ohm Dyna coils, the difference is 100% noticeable. Instant starting. Irritating low rpm misfire 'cough' disappeared. A hugely stronger, brightly coloured spark instead of the OEM feeble one. Iridium plugs are all a nice tan brown.

Same goes for the Geezer reg/rect upgrade.... yep the OEM one worked fine but the upgrade is vastly better. Full charging at about 1500rpm instead of 4,000rpm, no slow flashers at stop lights on tickover, better charging.

OEM doesn't mean the best possible and OEM parts aren't somehow sacrosanct. Look at the pickup wires, or awful welding on the swingarms especially, or regulators that fry the neighbouring rectifiers 'cos they share the same heatsink, awful tyres on them when new etc etc. COST came into things when these bikes (and any bikes) were made and quality was compromised sometimes.

I put silicone HT leads with carbon fibre cores on my bike. Again, the OEM leads were OK but definitely not as good. OEM HT caps? Hardly the best and you hardly ever see them. (I bought some and used the metal casings to disguise my NGK caps). IMO there's nothing wrong with improvement. I certainly benefit from it on my own bike which starts and rides like a different machine
              Last edited by James England; 06-23-2011, 07:40 PM.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I feel slightly overwhelmed with all the info on this site. Im replacing my coils with the DC1-1 (3ohm) and will eliminate the ballast resister like tutorial says. What got me confused is the type of plug and wire needed. I read about needing resister type plugs to avoid radio interference or wires with resistor caps for the same reason. What determines if you need that or not? I bought NGK BP6ES for the bike based off what I read somewhere on here. Personally Im confused about this concept of "resister plugs" because all plugs are a resisters. So how do you make a resister-resister! I'm as old as my bike so I really didn't tinker with technology.
                1980 XS1100G
                -4:2 exhaust
                -Pods
                -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

The 'resistors' are to remove radio interference, which if you don't run either resistor plugs, wires, or caps, the ignition system will generate RF (radio frequency) noise on other RF electrical equipment; TVs, radios, computers, etc. You can actually be ticketed for this...

The OEM plugs are non-resistor (the NGKs you bought), as are the factory solid-core wires, so Yamaha used resistor caps. If you want to retain the look and/or fit of the OEM wires, fitting resistor caps is the easiest way; new ones are available from most any bike dealer, as well as online. Carbon-core resistor wires are commonly available, but can go bad much easier than solid-core and aren't generally used on bikes. Or you can switch to resistor plugs; they will have a 'R' somewhere in the number.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So that's what people were talking about when they referred to their "5k MSD" caps? I guess that makes sense now! Thanks Steve, and everyone for helping me out. I really appreciate it! Unfortunately this isnt that last you've seen of me though.
                    1980 XS1100G
                    -Pods

Comment

No problem. We welcome questions from those new to these machines (and even those not new to them, we are all still learning about them, even those who are 30 year owners). The whole point to this site is to share information about these bikes and riding and bikes in general and our love of the bikes and riding (not necessarily in that order) of both. It's much better to ask questions if your not sure than to damage things because you were afraid to ask. It's often easier to help you through the job in the first place, than to try to talk you through fixing a botched job.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The interesting thing about all this, is it usually isn't an issue on a car/truck as the metal body blocks the interference. But on a vehicle with a open motor or a fiberglass body, you'll run into the problem. Anybody that's familar with Corvettes remembers those bulky, clumsy 'ignition covers' that surrounded all the plug wires and the distributor. If you took them off, you couldn't listen to the car's radio for all the ignition whine...
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I knock out radios with my HID lights on my car. A light burnt out so I bought a ballast & bulb kit off ebay because it was cheaper than just buying a bulb. (and I was too lazy to check if the balast was bad) Well I just replaced the one side and as soon as I turned on the lights the garage and car radios went to static! (thats FM not AM) It was cold and I wasn't in the mood to fix it so its still like that today. If I use the xm radio threw the tape adapter I dont get static.

So that I am clear I should buy (2) 5k ohm 90 degree and (2) 120 or 45 degree in 5k. Then a universal spiral core wire kit from local parts store and im good to go?
                          1980 XS1100G
                          -Pods

Comment

Working...
                          X