Another quick carb question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another quick carb question...

I got my SG carbs done (except for those choke rod springs, but I'm still working on that..) and am looking at sealing the idle screw towers. I bought kits that come with replacement metal seals, but I really don't want to use those. But I don't want to leave them open either; I tore down two sets (to get one good one) and the carbs that had those missing were the ones that getting the screws out was tough on... the sealed ones came out no problem.

So... Has anybody had any luck finding an easily-removed, reuseable alternate to the metal seals? I've looked in vain for rubber plugs of some sort, but the closest I've found is some hard plastic push-in 'trim' plugs. They may work (and are cheap enough at about $5 for a 100 of 'em), but I don't see those withstanding the vibration... I may need the full 100...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

One idea i have but not tried would be to find a small diameter vac hose that fits in the tower cut flush and stick a small button head solid rivet pushed into the hose. Grease the hose od to keep it from sticking to the threads. Just thinking .

Or a small machine screw instead of a rivet.
    Last edited by SFerinTEXAS; 06-21-2011, 09:42 AM.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

Good idea! No worry about the threads, as the top part of the hole isn't threaded. And I may already have some hose...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Just curious.. Why do you want to seal them? Unless you are planning for a mud-bath, leaving them open usually isn't a problem.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

'Bug, I live 3/4 of a mile off the end of the paved road, so dust is a real issue for me (including the a**holes that go past my house that think they're running the Baja...). Collect dust, get any water in there (wash the bike), and you end up with crusty crud. Like I said, the sealed idle screws came right out, but the ones that were open were no joy; I destroyed 3 of the four getting them out, and had a bit of trouble getting the new screw into one hole due to the corrosion. Trying to avoid any future problems...

'82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Gotcha. How about Well nuts? The same things that are used to hold the lowers onto the Windjammer fairings. They sell them at Home Depot and they come in lots of sizes.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Another good idea.... the collective mind comes through!

'82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                - - - - Has anybody had any luck finding an easily-removed, reuseable alternate to the metal seals? I've looked in vain for rubber plugs of some sort, - - -
                Hi Steve,
                not in vain, in MikesXS.
                Kit #48-1408 @ $13.50 has this:-
                Carb Rebuild Kit - Fits: XS650SG-SL (1980-84) stock Mikuni 34mm. CV carbs
                Kit Contains : Push-in Float Valve assembly with O-Ring, Carb rubber passage
                Plug & Float bowl Gasket 3F7. Made in Japan - 1 kit required per carb.
                The passage plug is the one part the late SGs don't need but they are a perfect fit in the needle valve towers.
                My SG has been using them to plug the needle towers since I replaced the carb needles & seats 4 years back and they ain't fallen out yet.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

There is a good amount of meat on the top of the tower, could thread a small portion of it and then put a set screw in there. At least that is was I was thinking of doing to the set of '81 carbs I am working on.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Steve, I've been experimenting with small pieces of Play-Doh smudged in to fill and seal the wells. It seems to work okay, it's easier to remove than metal plugs and the threads stay clean.

The fluorescent colors worked fine but upset motorcycle feng shui so I used the white and put a dab of silver/aluminum paint on top.

I've also used the green Loctite wicking thread sealer under a little bit of mom's top-secret flour and water recipe she used to make by the bucket when we ran out of Play-Doh but Loctite is starting to get expensive.
                    -- Scott
                    _____
                    ♬
                    2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                    ♬

Comment

I know my local ACE hardware sells all sorts of rubber and cork plugs. You could try one of those and cut them down to fit? Maybe a vacuum cap? See if it fits over the entire tower. You might have to cut a slot in it though.
                      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                      Pod Filters
                      DynoJet Kit
                      T.C.'s Fuse Block
                      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        There is a good amount of meat on the top of the tower, could thread a small portion of it and then put a set screw in there. At least that is was I was thinking of doing to the set of '81 carbs I am working on.
                        Seems to me that is just moving the problem up the tube. If the threads are getting crudded up, I'd hate to see that happen to the set screw at the top of the tube. Might end up breaking the tube off if the set screw gets jammed. Although, perhaps the fact that the set screw would be on the TOP of the tube will force the crud to fall off the surface and allow it the time required to seep down into the threads. Maybe a button-head screw could act as a tiny umbrella!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          Seems to me that is just moving the problem up the tube. If the threads are getting crudded up, I'd hate to see that happen to the set screw at the top of the tube. Might end up breaking the tube off if the set screw gets jammed. Although, perhaps the fact that the set screw would be on the TOP of the tube will force the crud to fall off the surface and allow it the time required to seep down into the threads. Maybe a button-head screw could act as a tiny umbrella!
                          Yeah I think that the needle being down in the tube allowing a buildup is most of the problem. I would think that if it is on the top and relatively flush it would not be a problem. I was also thinking about the rubber plugs at ace as well though (less work).
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

While mine had plenty of grunge in them, I think the main problem is moisture. Aluminum will corrode if water sits on it long enough, and I cleaned more than a bit of oxidized powder out of these. It doesn't help that my bikes don't get ridden daily either; we have a short riding season here (unless you're pretty hard-core and don't mind riding in the rain/cold, and even then only fools ride every day what with freezing temps and ice) so corrosion has time to work it's 'magic'. It's the old 'a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' thing...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Steve, I have just used the little black snap in plugs like you use to cover small holes in whatever. The specialty trays at Tru-Valu or similar. They do NOT fit tight, but never have lost one....well untill the other day taking carb bank off and turning upside down, one made the escape who knows where. Being plastic, the heat doesn't seem to affect them either, and has kept underside clean and free of dirt.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X