Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waht are the after letter indicators for SF, SJ etc

Hey everyone,

New guy on the block. I'm trying to buy parts for my 1979 XS 1100 SF most parts places don't use that designation (the SF part) What does it mean and is it improtant for ordering parts?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

eric

The letters are an indication of the year and model.

1978 - Standard only - E
    1979 - Standard - F, Special - SF (S denotes a Special)
    1980 - Standard - G, Special - SG, Midnight Special - LG
    1981 - Standard - H (Also known as a Venturer), Special - SH, Midnight Special - LH

Yes, they are important for ordering SOME parts, since there are differences between some of the models. Some items are the same across all of them, and some items are one-year/model only.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I'm looking for most of the rubber parts like the handle boots, o-rings for oil filter, the intake boots, and things like the washer and spring for the oil filter, brakepads, cover gaskets, carb float bowl gaskets, etc

What's the best place to get these? I have gotten allthe part numbers for the parts I need but can't seem to find the parts.

Comment

Unfortunately, you are rarely able to find eveything you need for these in one stop. The rubber boots that fit around the clutch/brake handles can be found at MikesXS (but don't tell them it's for an 11!) by checking part numbers. Most of the rest can be gotten from PartsnMore, you find some bits on eBay, and carb parts from multiple places ('Georgefix' on eBay always has XS11 carb kits listed). The most commonly replaced parts that are model-specific are front brake (pads, rebuild kits), fork seals, and petcock parts. Gaskets; if you need more than one or two, it's nearly as cheap to buy a complete set. Many here don't bother; Yamabond or RTV will work for just about any sealed joint except for the oil filter and head gasket. And it pays to shop, as prices can vary widely...

Happy hunting!
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Orings for the oil filter should come in the box with the oil filter (there are 2 in each one - a large one and a small one). You might also try member andreashweiss. He has a nice stash of parts for sale and always has a few threads running in the "parts for sale" section.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Don't forget to check ebay, lots of new and used parts there. Oops, Steve mentioned that already.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

LeBard & Underwood

Real Yamaha parts, some are still available and if they are these people have them on the shelf and will ship. They been in business here since 1946. Web addy is lu1946.com
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Hey thanks everyone for your help. This is the suckypart of the porcess I just want to turn wrenches and get riding.

Comment

Working...
                X