Petcock Leak in the Off Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_misfit138 View Post
    (snip) If you disassemble the petcock, between the switch and the main body there's a little plastic circle with 4 holes in it. I'd take a close look at that. It might look ok at a quick glance, but if any of the edges on those holes are rounded over a little bit, it could be your culprit.
    If you are going through the trouble of replacing the holey gasket, you might think about working on the valve handle face. They are a little rough from the factory. I took mine and sanded them smooth with fine grit wet-n-dry. Following that, take the sharp edges off around the holes. Then, polish the surface with Mothers Milk, Eagle One, or what ever. I am certain that it will make the holey gasket last longer (maybe forever). PS, there is a Right and a Left handle on the standards and you can't mix them up and expect them to operate correctly!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
      But the real question now, is about my idle mix screws. The wear on all of them is significant. Are they somehow repairable or do I go straight to replacement.

The left one looks serviceable, but that right one has seen better days... I'd replace....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks for the sage advice. Those are some high-quality tips y'all is droppin' on me! I'll pay close attention to the petcock and do a little clean-up work on the petcock handles. I found out about the non-interchangeability of those handles, but I appreciate the reminder!

Steve, if I'm gonna replace one, I would just as soon replace all four. That wear can't be good for A/F metering. I'm gonna check with some local bike shops and see if I can find replacements.

Comment

I've only had one set of the early carbs, but it seems like the tips were tapered at the end like that. Is it the light that is making one look so much different than the other? almost looks like a shadow effect.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Those are f'ed up! They are supposed to be straight and smooth all the way to the tip. Replace them!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              If you didn't know I will tell you. To test the brass floats boil some water and then take the water off the stove. Completely submerge the float in the got water. If there are any leaks you will see a stream of bubbles coming out of the hole.

Why not just use cold water to test for stream of bubbles?
              79 XS1100 SF

Comment

The hot water will cause bubbles to rise faster. The temp difference between the cool floats and the hot water does it. The cool air inside the floats will expand and cause bubbles to come out of any hole.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by unicorncomputer View Post
                  Why not just use cold water to test for stream of bubbles?
                  It's physics young man!

Ray has it covered.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

What the hell is a "Physic" anyway?
                    Hi Shacknasty,
                    I'm late to the fair on this one, but "Physic" is an obsolete term for bowel-opening medication.
                    But from context I'd suppose he meant "Psychic"?
                    But about the mysterious gas leakage.
                    Your profile sez you have a Standard and their gas taps don't have a true OFF position. The vacuum operated ON mode has been known to occasionally stay ON after the engine stops and then fix itself which is perhaps why you can't find anything wrong with them.
                    BUT
                    The carb float valves should stop the fuel overflow anyway, right?
                    Looks to me like you have two problems, eh?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Gas in Oil

No problems at all on the last ride. I'm sure I woulda noticed the smell of gas and there is no sign of leakage below the carbs. The airbox was fulla gas though.

We'll see.
                      It is a good idea to put a block (2 X 4) under the front tire when the bike is parked for extended periods. This will put any leaking gas into the air box while keeping it out of the crankcase.

It would be almost impossible for gas to get past a petcock in the off position (Specials only) if the petcock seals are good. The petcocks shut the gas off going to the octy, but a leaking float valve(s) could allow fuel already in the octy and lines to leak into the oil. More likely (as suggested) fuel was getting in the crankcase at some point when the petcocks were in the on position.

Bottom line is that a problem exists that needs to be repaired - rebuild carbs, petcocks, octy. Hook up a remote fuel source to carbs prior to installation and verify no leakage.
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors
                      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment