Grinding at 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding at 2nd gear

Bike shifts to 1st fine but won't shift to 2nd while running. All gears work fine on the bench when not running. I have already pulled the gear assy. and am prepared to do the dremel fix but I am still unshure that I am addressing the problem. I found a 1/8 dia. pin in the bottom pan and have not found where it came from. It didn't come from the shift fork drum but it looks like the same size pin.
    Any Ideas?

Won't shift or won't stay in gear?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Oh...but it DID come from the drum.......better look again!
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yep, I would be suprised if ti did not. I would go ahead and perform the dremel grind ont he gears while you have them out, becuase they would eventually need it anyway. But that pin came from soemwhere, and with the shifting issue you described, the shift drum is about a 95%.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Probably a broken star washer thingy. The gearchange is the onlyplace in the entire engine that has those pins. It's a 100% certainty....
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Ahhh..yes. That's what it is. Here is a pic...

The arrows point to what that pin probably is. This is a picture of the shifting ratchet assembly under the left rear engine/trans cover. No need to tear into the transmission to take care of this problem. It can be done quite easily on with the bike up on the center stand.

These pics are from an old post by trbig authored with instructions on how to do it. Do a search and you'll find it. I'll look when I get a chance.

Here is a picture of the whole assembly.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Usually one of the pin retaining lugs snaps off, allowing a pin to fall out, so I'd look for the broken bit and get it out of the engine. The star washer thingies are still available......
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

That pin may also be from the other end of the shift fork shaft. There is a retaining pin behind the oil pump idle gear (behind the clutch) that keeps the shaft from pulling out the left side and grinding that gear against the engine case.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

That's NOT a pin Bug. That one is a roll pin....totally different and different use. You seriously need to have torn one of these down before giving info!
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    That's NOT a pin Bug. That one is a roll pin....totally different and different use. You seriously need to have torn one of these down before giving info!
                    Um... I've probably been into more of these transmissions than you, my friend. I am VERY familiar with the internals of that part of these bikes. A roll PIN is still a PIN. I was simply giving options.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by vint1100s View Post
                      Bike shifts to 1st fine but won't shift to 2nd while running. All gears work fine on the bench when not running. I have already pulled the gear assy. and am prepared to do the dremel fix but I am still unshure that I am addressing the problem. I found a 1/8 dia. pin in the bottom pan and have not found where it came from. It didn't come from the shift fork drum but it looks like the same size pin.
                      Any Ideas?
                      The pin may have fallen out of your shift drum and was replaced with a new one, never retreiving the original one from the oil pan. JAT
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The pin may have fallen out of your shift drum and was replaced with a new one, never retreiving the original one from the oil pan. JAT /////+1, a good option!...... and the only other if a solid pin.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Won't shift or won't stay in gear?
                          Won't shift into 2nd.
                          Thanks

Comment

It has probably dropped a pin out of the shift drum then.

That's the pics I posted.

It won't go to 3rd or beyond when running either right?

An SF i am currently working on had that problem also. Pic isn't too good but this is what it looked like when I pulled the left rear cover.

See the tab broken from on star plate and the empty hole where the pin should be?
                            Last edited by BA80; 06-18-2011, 08:02 PM.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

vint1100s, the shift pawl body might be bent. I didn't even try to fix it, I just got another one that wasn't bent so it didn't do that.

It's not a major emergency or anything but if you don't fix it the tab will keep breaking off the washer and the 5th gear pin will keep falling out of the shift drum. It gets annoying. My '80G kept snapping that same 'leg' off the starfish washer and after the third time I put the bike over on its right side so I wouldn't have to drain the oil, then removed the cover for the shift assembly and looked at it while shifting the gears.

I found that when you shift up to 4th or 5th gear, the edge of the shift pawl body snags on the washer tab covering the 5th gear shift pin in the shift drum. Eventually it bends the tab up and breaks it off, then the 5th gear shift pin falls out of the shift drum.

I posted some pictures to a thread somewhere ... (Jeopardy music)

Ah, here it is and a link; better than a text description. If you look at the picture you can see that the edge of the shift pawl body next to the shift index pin and the shift pawl has a small flat spot worn into it from hitting the washer and the 5th gear shift pin:-

Why the shift drum starfish washer breaks
                              -- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X