XS11 head gasket on a XJ11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 head gasket on a XJ11?

I'm looking for a head gasket for the XJ11 & the cheapest I find is at $90 from Chacal. & $100 for the complete engine gasket set.

Found a XS11 head gasket for $50 & if i were to reuse the parts from the old head gasket to fit the YICS junction, would the XS11 head gasket work fine?

If so & I can use RTV for the cylinder base gasket instead of a fiber/paper gasket then I'd be better off getting the XS11 head gasket.

Thanks!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

That's what I just did. But I also blocked off the YICS system on my engine as well so the the cut portion of the old XJ gasket to go with the ports wasn't really vital on mine. I JB welded the head ports and used the YICS elimination tool as well to get where I wanted.

Hope that helps you.
    http://rigidsroost.blogspot.com/
    http://www.calvary-customs.com

Comment

If your interested in permanently eliminating the YICS and pulling the head, I would suggest tapping the ports out for a metal plug. There is a thread around here showing how TRBig did this at one time. Very simple, very easy, just measure the hole, get the next size up tap and plug and put it in place! I would use some Red Locktite on it, but that is just me.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I just ordered a XS11 head gasket & will go with that.

I bought the YICS eliminator and have that in there right now. What I want to do is give a fair try to running a 60 mile or so loop with and without it on a given day, same conditions & see how the difference is fuel consumption wise. Any extra power will be a minor thing for me either way. If I like the YICS in there I'll keep the eliminator for carb sync & if not I'll probably leave the eliminator in there.

Since the XS11 head gasket fits, I'll just glean the YICS portion of the old gasket and put that where it belongs. Someday I'll maybe sell the bike & want the next owner to have the option of what they want to do.
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Interested to see what you find comparing running the YICS eliminator or not. We have one in Karla's and intend on keeping it in there, unless you see a significant change in fuel mileage. The bike's got plenty of power, and on our budget fuel economy is always something we're interested in. That being said, I'm completely spoiled with my 650R. Talk about a fuel sipper while still delivering a ridiculous number of s.
          Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
          Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

Sounds like your XJ and Karla are happy!.....L-e-a-v-e it.....be happy......
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Don't worry, no immediate plans to take it out!
              Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
              Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

Working...
              X