#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You want to be careful of those cheapy headlights with the internal 'lamp cover' in there... some of them aren't made all that well and those will fall off if used in a bike; they can't take the shocks of motorcycle use. BTDT....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        So the h6054 fits and mounts up?
        No, it's not a 'bolt-on' fit. The XS mount has to be altered to fit the H6054. BUT, the H6054 is the correct lens footprint. More will be posted when I finally get the damned glass off. It's a delicate process
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Update..........

The H6054 sealed beam bulb is too large to fit inside the XS bulb shell. It is in fact, exactly the same size as the XS bulb shell. So, it's not a simple swap. What I've decided to do is follow some of Crazy Steve's advice and get a bucket for the jeep cherokee and alter it to fit the XS mount. These buckets are readily available, even new they're about $17 from firms like Quadratec.com. I'll also need the jeep trim ring 'cause that's what actually fastens the bulb to the bucket. So all told, it's going to be a $25-$30 project

More to come as I make progress.

Meanwhile, i was able to transfer the Kawasaki glass to my XS bucket so at least I have a stock headlight. It's a perfect fit, but it's a bit of work. The results are superb.
          Last edited by DAVINCI; 06-21-2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
            The H6054 sealed beam bulb is too large to fit inside the XS bulb shell. It is in fact, exactly the same size as the XS bulb shell. So, it's not a simple swap. What I've decided to do is follow some of Crazy Steve's advice and get a bucket for the jeep cherokee and alter it to fit the XS mount. These buckets are readily available, even new they're about $17 from firms like Quadratec.com. I'll also need the jeep trim ring 'cause that's what actually fastens the bulb to the bucket. So all told, it's going to be a $25-$30 project...
            I figured that would be the problem...

As far as the headlight bucket, those size headlights were used in all sorts of car/trucks (Ford, GM and Chrysler all used those on at least some vehicles), so I don't think you need to be too specific about where you get one or what it's off of. The only big difference I've seen is some have the trim/retaining ring more 'squared off', and some are rounded like your Jeep and the XS. The only other differences would be where the adjusting screws are located and the shape of the back of the bucket; you'll probably end up cutting most of that stuff off anyway. Any junkyard with late 70s, 80s vehicles should have something....
            Last edited by crazy steve; 06-21-2011, 06:01 PM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Right you are, Steve, but rather than dig around boneyards, i'll order one. There are VERY few boneyards in the NYC area. And yes, I'll be cutting most of it away. hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                Right you are, Steve, but rather than dig around boneyards, i'll order one. There are VERY few boneyards in the NYC area. And yes, I'll be cutting most of it away. hehe.
                Oh, c'mon... They're always showing abandoned cars in the 'rougher' streets of NYC on TV, one of those would be free...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Oh, man, don't believe everything you see on TV...

Comment

Working...
                  X