useful Headlight info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• useful Headlight info

Cracked the glass in my headlight ('79 Standard) and in looking for a replacement, came upon this:

1983 Kawasaki GPZ 750

Notice the glass is the same, "STANLEY 001-1843" as the XS. The metal globe / adjuster bracket is different but I'm going to extract the glass and swap it onto my housing.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
    Notice the glass is the same, "STANLEY 001-1843" as the XS.
    No actually I cant really read most of those numbers

Good find, hopefully it works for you and you find a replacement for the irreplaceable!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

squint, works for me!

Comment

The 82 gpz 750 is the same. I had one. It has the same light. It was a fun bike. Nowhere near as fast as my 11 though. But well worth the 500 bucks I paid for it. It didn't look as good body wise though it had alit I'd age to it. The old yamis seen to last longerd
        " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
        xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

squint, works for me!
          I left my reading glasses at work, I'll just have to trust y'all.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Right on finding another option Randy!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Not so fast...it's an option IF I can get the glass out in one piece! I found, after removing the trim that the glass is glued onto the housing. It's not an epoxy, though. It's a softer material kinda between glazing putty and rubber glue. I'm not sure WTF it is, but I scraped it out of the channel. I can see through the glass lip that there is a faint line of glue between the glass and the metal housing.

Step two, I'm gonna fill that channel with acetone and let it sit overnight to see if it softens the rest of the glue. If that doesn't do it, I'll dremel off a bit of the metal lip and get a wire in there and remove it as if it were a windshield.

Comment

heat?

would it help to use a heat gun?

How are you going to seal it back? Im thinking just glazing putty would be enough with it held in a frame.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Heat gun is a good idea, John, and i have one, but I'm afraid to risk it. The metal and the glass have way different expansion rates and I'm afraid I'd crack the glass.

Comment

Hey Randy!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33037
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

YEAH, I SAW THAT. Damn. They say timing is everything, eh? BTW, that housing is still available, but lowest cost I found was $75 NOS. This redneck alternative of mine is $20 out of pocket so far. SO FAR

Comment

YEAH, I SAW THAT. Damn. They say timing is everything, eh? BTW, that housing is still available, but lowest cost I found was $75 NOS. This redneck alternative of mine is $20 out of pocket so far. SO FAR
                        If I were you I would buy the for sure one and still work on the other as a backup! Can always resell if need be.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

There was a time when I wouldn't think twice about ordering that $75 NOS one, but not today.

Comment

Well hey now there is a nos light kit for even less than the $75!
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

One issue you may have if you get that lens out may be reinstalling it in the other reflector. Silicon is supposedly a poor choice, as the fumes it gives off will attack the silvering on the reflector and lift and/or dull it, dimming the light output. There's a 'special' sealant for these (sorry, I can't remember if or where I saw a source) to prevent that that also takes the heat and gives a good bond. You might check around with some 'headlight restorer' outfits for this...

This has come up on my Jag forum (some models have specially-shaped, model-specific headlights) and guys have been looking for an inexpensive fix for broken lenses and bad silvering. That's where the sealer thing came up; silicon fumes ate the silvering off several guys lights... There's restoration services, but they're not real cheap; about $75-100, sometimes more. Replacement headlights for the Jags are over $300 each...
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X