XS11 Horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 Horns

Are your horns sounding kinda' wimpy', and not too XSive? Are people surprised to see a big bike when they hear a small scooter? Do they cover there mouths and snicker when they hear you? Want to impress your friends with a real big honker? Well my friends, let me tell how to get rid of that annoying little 'bleat bleat' noise. Just do like I did and install a car horn on your your XS. It's a real easy task, and if I may bend your ear for the next few minutes, I'll tell you how it's done.
    I used the 20 amp auxillary fuse on the XS to power the AC/ Delco horn that I used. This particular horn (a one wire horn) is no longer available, but one can be found in any salvage yard in any older GM car. I ran a new, 12 gauge wire from the aux fuse up the frame to the area near the coils, and there I ty-wrapped a plastic, three terminal horn relay. Yamaha tends to use the horn button to complete the ground for the horn. Because the Delco horn will draw a lot of amps, using the button to make ground will melt it. Use this existing horn circuit to provide ground for the new relay. From the output terminal, use a 12 guage wire to the horn. The new horn can be mounted in a number of places on the front of the frame. There are threaded holes on the downtubes of the frame, and the existing horn bracket on the models that had two horns can also be used. A clever man could install two horns, and really get someones attention. I used a bolt on the cam cover for my installation because of the oil cooler that is occupying that space.
    Now you too can have that "Harley' sound with out the added Harley Xpense.

HARLEY

Harley sound eeewwwwwww, Id rather eat a raw onion, But thank u for the horny info..............MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Raw Onion...

May I suggest a Vidalia...grown here in the south...very sweet for dining pleasure.....
      Terry O'Donnell
      81SH "BullDozer"
      Holy Riders Motorcycle Ministries
      [URL]www.holyriders.com[/URL]
      [URL]www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HRMC/[/URL]

Comment

I went down to the local PepBoysAutoZoneNAPADiscountAdvance store and picked up a pair of Fiaam Freway Blaster high and low horns, then just plugged them up to the existing wires. No troubles, just racket.
        '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

Put you some good air horns on.That way you know they will jump.Did that to one bike I used to own,worked real good.
          Bill Harvell

Comment

Originally posted by jkgrubbs
            I went down to the local PepBoysAutoZoneNAPADiscountAdvance store
            Anti Checker, huh? Well, I've been considering a set of air horns we keep on hand. I wish I could hear them before I buy them though.
            Tony K.
            TonimusMaximus
            Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
            New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Have a set of Fiamm horns myself. They work good but I havent found a good place to mount them yet. The sound is just about the pitch of a freight train and they are plenty loud too. They come with a relay so you dont have to worry about burning up your wimpy horn circuit and the price was right at $25.00 at Advance Auto parts.

Comment

Air Horns

Dudes! I put air horns on Scorpion. I mounted the actual trumpets on either side of the headlight bucket, with the screws that hold the light in the bucket.

I mounted the compressor to one of the sides where the old horns were.

This totally ROCKS! I have no problem getting someone's attention. As if my straight pipes weren't loud enough!

My buddy was ahead of me, in his pickup truck, with the winows rolled up, and when he crossed over some railroad tracks, I blasted my horns. He looked left and right, looking for the train. I bet he had a mess to clean up afterwards
                Gone but never Forgotten:
                1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Ok. So everyone likes airhorns. Question then. Dual tone or single horn?
                  Tony K.
                  TonimusMaximus
                  Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
                  New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Checker? didna they make taxicabs, once?

They don't have any stores in my part of the woods, ah reckon.
                    '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

Well, I know JCW has them in their catalogs, the auto ones more so than the bike ones, but they do show them in the bike catalogs as well!

But I also saw something the other day whilst at the local auto store, some air horns that didn't require a heavy load from your electrical system, they used a can of compressed air, like those hand held ones, and so it took very little power to activate the solenoid that supplied the blast of air thru the horns.

Of course the problem would be our luck, when we would run out of air in the can!!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

cheap loud horns

I put dual 'snail' horns on my XS and Bandit, total cost for both bikes, under $10.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=8221

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...horns#post4796

Denny, Glenna, and Del Zander all had air horns for a while, but they didn't seem to hold up for more than a couple-few seasons.
                        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

XS-11 Horns

The only downside I had with airhorns was where to put the compressor.Dennis Kirk catolog has MC horns they very vary in price so should be able to find what you want. Good Luck
                          Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
                          X