Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this engine chatter normal with auto CCT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow what a spirited discussion

I learned a couple things - thanks guys...

Guess I really need to find that Venture ACCT and stick it in.

I will try and eval noise levels pre-post.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

This thread made my day! I liked it... any who I have had my vmax camchain tensioner for over a year... my gas mileage has been great 43.9 MPG the other day riding home from the dragon. Honestly there are many other things that will weaken your gas mileage. I think the auto one doesn't make you loose any. It wasn't much noisier either but really forget the venturer one and why would you want a vision tensioner its a puny motor... i got the vmax tensioner. Not only did I get better MPG but it gave me 140 HP from the vmax..
      Mine was from a 96 vmax I think.... I forgot now. Plus I mean how much cooler am I because I have a vmax unit. Not a little vision one ... aaarrrggggggg!
      Last edited by yamahansolo; 06-20-2011, 05:53 AM.
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by blkryno View Post
        I'm not up on all the progress that has been made by Yamaha over the years with the cct's. Is there any info that they went back to the m-cct's or redesigned the a-cct's do to excessive wear issues ?

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct, Tkat fork brace on order.)
        79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi
        I think that they still use the Auto cct that is a direct swap for ours in the new vmax, or at least in the vmax of a couple years ago.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yamahansolo, the Vmax and Venture use the same tensioner, 26H-12210-03-00, but I like your thinking for bolt-on Vmax power vs the Vesp, ah, erm, Vision! Vision tensioner!

Nate, from what I've read, yamahar1.co.uk: cam chain tensioner,
          the R1 and R6 use an automatic screw-type tensioner with hydraulic damping. There are some problems with noise, maybe some expensive broken stuff. There's a Youtube video at the bottom of the linked page that shows what a failing tensioner on an R1 sounds like during startup.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Phase... I know they are the same I did cross referencing last year before I bought it... there were a couple other bikes that used the same part number. I just think its much Coleridge to day I have a vmax tensioner than a vision or venturer...
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
              Phase... I know they are the same I did cross referencing last year before I bought it... there were a couple other bikes that used the same part number. I just think its much Coleridge to day I have a vmax tensioner than a vision or venturer...
              +1
              -- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Heh heh.......yeah I suppose.........Coleridge ........I like that!

Well since the V-Max and Venture use the same tensioner I guess I'll start saying the one on mine is for a V-Max.

That'll make it seem coleridge.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Damn Droid smell checker got me again! Arg

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    I guess I'll start saying the one on mine is for a V-Max.

That'll make it seem coleridge.
                    LMAO! Hey, Greg, are you or any of the other incorrigible scruffians back east (besides Motoman and Jerry!) going to be able to make it to Durango for the rally on 4th of July weekend? With that high-performance mod bolted (duct taped?) to the engine you should be able to drop the clutch at the end of your driveway, then jump straight over the Rockies to the campground and save all kinds of fuel!
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

No Scott, I really wanted to but finances won't allow.

After the " Banned Camp" rally here in Oklahoma and a 3 day romp in Arkansas immediatly afterword I had to borrow some cash just so I could be broke.

Maybe next year. I will be going to Minnesota for the "Lost Rally" the first weekend in august though. I had a great time there last year.

Some of y'all Californicators should try coming over a bit to the east. That way you get the oppotunity to ride west without getting wet.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

ncorrigible scruffians back east (besides Motoman and Jerry!) going to be able to make it to Durango for the rally on 4th of July weekend?//////Scruffians?....use that term loosely......East?.....This HERE is WEST........Cantafordya don't count.......ooops, highjac.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          ncorrigible scruffians back east (besides Motoman and Jerry!) going to be able to make it to Durango for the rally on 4th of July weekend?//////Scruffians?....use that term loosely......East?.....This HERE is WEST........Cantafordya don't count.......ooops, highjac.

Ha ha ha.........+1 moto.....well said
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Some of y'all Californicators should try coming over a bit to the east. That way you get the oppotunity to ride west without getting wet.
                            I wanted to go to the Banned rally this year but I didn't have the time/money for two trips back east. I'm glad you folks had a good time!

I had a route over the Rockies planned last summer but I only made it to Colorado. There was a Gulf hurricane that came up from the south with flash floods and tornadoes and, since I was already getting a little tired of riding by then, I decided to skip borrowing a boat/broom to strap to the saddlebags in case of emergency and went home.

Motoman: Thpppbtbtbtb!
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

Heh heh..Brent made it from Georgia. Took him 2 days to dry out.

His turn signal switch got rain water in it so the whole time we were riding his bike was signaling for a left turn.

Ha ha 6 days and 2 states.

Thinking of starting to call him lefty.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Heh heh..Brent made it from Georgia. Took him 2 days to dry out.

His turn signal switch got rain water in it so the whole time we were riding his bike was signaling for a left turn.

Ha ha 6 days and 2 states.

Thinking of starting to call him lefty.
                                A good used car mechanic would of taken the switch apart at the next dry stop, poured part of a shot of vodka in it, taste tested the rest of the shot for suitability, blown out the switch with a MacD straw, (knowing most of mechanics are full of hot air), and gone on down the road.
                                To good to help a bud avoid a ticket?
                                Or don't want to give away any flat rate secrets?

CZ

Comment

Working...
                                X