Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this engine chatter normal with auto CCT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    You were convinced pretty easy to switch over to the dark side! !
    Well, I rapidly realised the only person saying anything good about the OEM one was me. Then I read the bit about top ends exploding, and the marks on the pusher rod indicating sometimes that they slip back and contemplated the possibility. Then I went out and asked the bike what it would prefer. I mean, I personally think the OEM is absolutely the best but the bike disagreed, so I had to give in.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by blkryno View Post
      ...The springs on an oem cct and the Venture cct are the same so there is no more tension on the cam chain than normal...
      Actually, that's not true... at least on the ones I've got.

The Venture CCT spring is quite a bit stiffer than OEM, although I don't see that as a cause for concern. Enough of these have been swapped and used long-term that if it were an issue, it would have shown up by now.

But if it is a concern for you, look at the Vision CCT; nearly identical (very slight mod needed for install), but the spring on these is nearly the same as the OEM ones in terms of tension...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
        Well, I rapidly realised the only person saying anything good about the OEM one was me. Then I read the bit about top ends exploding, and the marks on the pusher rod indicating sometimes that they slip back and contemplated the possibility. Then I went out and asked the bike what it would prefer. I mean, I personally think the OEM is absolutely the best but the bike disagreed, so I had to give in.
        The bike is always right!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          The bike is always right!
          Maybe that's why I think of it as female.......
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Know your a bit hesitant there James, and I suspect it being from what the guys over the pond had said about it on the UK site. None of them were convinced and stated: "We'll see how it works out for the Yankees first". Well, you have your answer here, no need to wait. Remember.....tick.......tick.......tick.......
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Know your a bit hesitant there James, and I suspect it being from what the guys over the pond had said about it on the UK site. None of them were convinced and stated: "We'll see how it works out for the Yankees first". Well, you have your answer here, no need to wait. Remember.....tick.......tick.......tick.......
              Strangely enough, I only use the US site, so I can honestly say my hesitation was not due to that. Thinking about it though, apart from perhaps noise, it can't really go wrong, can it? Can it? I'd prefer it if the end of the plunger were rubber/Viton tipped but if it doesn't damage the tensioner blade, that's the main thing

Comment

I'd venture to say that if the cam chain itself rolling along it at a gazillion mph doesn't damage the tensioner blade, then a post resting / pushing on it won't likely damage it either.
                Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                  I'd venture to say that if the cam chain itself rolling along it at a gazillion mph doesn't damage the tensioner blade, then a post resting / pushing on it won't likely damage it either.
                  The chain is gazillioning on a Viton/rubber surface though... not bare metal. The spring blade is coated on one side (chain side) only..... and it's also sliding along a long surface. The Venture plunger has a much smaller diameter end than the OEM one, which is coated in rubber/Viton/whatever. What I'm thinking of is the metal to metal contact of the Venture plunger and the smaller diameter, in contact with a bare metal spring blade that is, by what's been posted here, exerting a lot of pressure at times. See what I mean?

In any event, it appears to have been done successfully and without incident. I'll have a look at the Venture CCT and see what possibility there is (if any) of 'padding' the end of it. It would have to be a really good mod. though as I wouldn't fancy blocks of rubber etc dropping off....
                  Last edited by James England; 06-16-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

James, to be honest you might not notice the difference between the automatic tensioner and the manual tensioner. Like Cy, I have a fairing that I swear amplifies the sound that engine oil makes as it gurgles through the metal pipe up to the back of the cylinder head.

Seriously though, over the last thirty-thousand miles I have become more or less familiar with the normal sounds from the engine -- plus a few special bonus sounds that I have no idea what they are but I fervently hope are just imaginary!

The automatic tensioner changes the type and volume of the sound from the valve train but I think it would be difficult to notice unless you were aware of the mod and you were listening for it. It would still be tough to walk up to a running XS1100 engine and, without looking at the front of the engine, be able to tell if that engine did or did not have an automatic cam chain tensioner installed.

I was more or less forced to get a Venture tensioner for my '80G. The original tensioner broke before I left for a long, strange, trip last summer so I had to get a replacement from Andreas. A couple of thousand miles later I was in Colorado and the cam chain was starting to get a little noisy so I adjusted the tensioner. I felt the lock bolt start to 'give' a little as I tightened it.

Still about a thousand miles from home and not wanting to take any chances, Motoman and I made a quick trip to a local motorcycle shop with a small wrecking yard in Grand Junction, CO., where I removed a shiny new tensioner from a Venture that was wearing a sad, somewhat sorrowful expression on its headight. Okay, so the tensioner wasn't exactly shiny or new -- but it cleaned up good! and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Yes, it does sing to me.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                      James, to be honest you might not notice the difference between the automatic tensioner and the manual tensioner. Like Cy, I have a fairing that I swear amplifies the sound that engine oil makes as it gurgles through the metal pipe up to the back of the cylinder head.

Seriously though, over the last thirty-thousand miles I have become more or less familiar with the normal sounds from the engine -- plus a few special bonus sounds that I have no idea what they are but I fervently hope are just imaginary!

The automatic tensioner changes the type and volume of the sound from the valve train but I think it would be difficult to notice unless you were aware of the mod and you were listening for it. It would still be tough to walk up to a running XS1100 engine and, without looking at the front of the engine, be able to tell if that engine did or did not have an automatic cam chain tensioner installed.

I was more or less forced to get a Venture tensioner for my '80G. The original tensioner broke before I left for a long, strange, trip last summer so I had to get a replacement from Andreas. A couple of thousand miles later I was in Colorado and the cam chain was starting to get a little noisy so I adjusted the tensioner. I felt the lock bolt start to 'give' a little as I tightened it.

Still about a thousand miles from home and not wanting to take any chances, Motoman and I made a quick trip to a local motorcycle shop with a small wrecking yard in Grand Junction, CO., where I removed a shiny new tensioner from a Venture that was wearing a sad, somewhat sorrowful expression on its headight. Okay, so the tensioner wasn't exactly shiny or new -- but it cleaned up good! and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Yes, it does sing to me.
                      Sounds good enough to me! I'll get the Venture one on asap and report back....... I keep thinking of that camchain jumping off

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                        Sounds good enough to me! I'll get the Venture one on asap and report back....... I keep thinking of that camchain jumping off
                        It's not likely to jump off. Smash seems to have one that makes noise so it appears it doesn't work the same for everyone for every engine: quelle fromage!

Some tensioners hold just fine and there are sharp, distinct circles on the flat where the bolt tip held the plunger. The two tensioners I've seen that slipped didn't move more than a fraction of a whatever your favorite base unit of measurement is in either direction but the bolt tip made two circles smeared together into a sort of chattered oval because the plunger was forced back while the lock bolt was tight.

From the marks on the flat, the plunger goes in and you lock it down but there's a happy place it wants to be. It moves back out, slowly or quickly I suppose depends on how you run the engine and how tight the lock bolt is holding the plunger, and the chain starts to get noisy. The engine starts to 'lag' and it needs more fuel to do the same amount of work until you adjust the chain again.

I guess the automatic tensioner makes a sound similar to a slightly loose cam chain but the throttle response stays crisp without the 'lag' and the slight loss of fuel economy caused by a loose cam chain. And, of course, you don't actually have to tighten the chain.

Oh, by the way, the special bonus noises are the ones that every motorcyclist hears on long, empty, stretches of highway or at night when most of the local part of the planet is sleeping and it's so quiet that you can hear ants nattering in there nests nine feet under ground.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

why more fuel?

scott

what causes more fuel to be burned?

if it doesnt skip a tooth i cant see where the loose chain can cause this. what am i missing here?

john
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

hi james,

for any reason ur not happy with the self tensioner,
                            u could always tap a bolt into the center of the oem tensioner,

i wasnt the 1 that came up with the idea, but works great, ive had it
                            in for years now, the side bolt doesnt do anything except preventing oil
                            from leaking. jat.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                              scott

what causes more fuel to be burned?

if it doesnt skip a tooth i cant see where the loose chain can cause this. what am i missing here?

john
                              I'm with John on this. If the timing hasn't changed, how can a rattle cause the engine to burn more fuel.

That's all the tensioner does is keep the "loose" non working side of the chain from rattling around and skipping a tooth, unless it skipped a tooth somewhere wouldn't affect the running of the engine in any way I can see.

It just makes it sound like a coffee can full of marbles.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

John, the cams move slightly in and out of time when the chain is loose, sort of like the vacuum advance pot does when it's oscillating at low speed but you would need a timing light to be able to see it, not the Mark I eyeball.

If the ignition pickup coils were mounted in a regular camshaft-driven distributor instead of the left end of the crankshaft the loose cam chain would start to cause spark scatter.

Anyway, engine power and fuel economy decreases as cam chain slack increases. It's not a whole lot at first unless the cam chain gets ludicrously loose but it's there.

Long term the cam chain guides, gears, cam chain, camshaft lobes and the valves wear out a little faster as the chain gets loose. The cams load and unload the cam chain when they open and close the valves and that makes the slack chain wear faster, which wears the cams and the valves faster so the chain wears faster ....
                                Last edited by 3Phase; 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X