Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this engine chatter normal with auto CCT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this engine chatter normal with auto CCT?

first off a huge THANK YOU to CaptonZap for putting in so many hours at our place on Saturday! He did an incredible job teaching Karla how to do more stuff on her bike (I sat back and fetched tools, etc) and we got more done in a few hours than we ever thought possible!

Took the bike out yesterday for about 175 miles of twisties and she ran very well. Got about 42mpg. Was hoping for a little better doing some easy mountain riding, but hey that's a big heavy bike!

I do have a question though... We installed a CCT off a Vision 550 and we're getting a new metal chattering noise. Is this an expected noise? It becomes very rapid above 3k. Try to hear it in the video, it's the metal vibrating noise.

Any thoughts on this? We heard it before the ride and it's the same after the ride. No smoke, no noticeable issues, just this noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZJkQzLizvQ
    Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
    Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

I did not hear anything like that on mine but I will say that there is more metal to metal contact with ANY of the auto cct's just because the oem cct had a little composite foot at the end of the plunger and the auto cct's do not have that, it's just the metal plunger sticking in there.

Did you ever check your valves shims?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep we sure did. Had to change two shims to get everything within spec but had to go a little loose on one intake valve (better than too tight, which is what it was).

Ugh ok. Was hoping everyone would say "yep that's normal."

Comment

That sounds like normal valve chatter to me. Since you adjusted the valves, that's is what I would have expected.

If you got 42mpg running twisties of ANY kind, you're doing incredible!! That kind of economy is usually reserved for flat-land constant-speed distance travel.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Ok thanks buddy. Man that's noisy! Haha, I guess it makes sense though, 1-3 intake and exhausts were within spec, but intake AND exhaust on 4 were tight. Which, would make it quiet... It does seem overly loud to me though, I don't remember CZs being that loud when he pulled away from the house, but I wasn't listening (and he was far away).

LOL about the fuel mileage. We were running them real gentle as she gets used to riding a street bike. Not running the stickiest of tires either. Helps that she's pretty darn tiny!

Anybody else want to chime in?
          Last edited by Smash; 06-13-2011, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Yeah I would say pretty normal especially since you said the valves were tight and now they are looser. And yeah 42mpg is really good!!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'll let Karla know about the fuel mileage. She was pulling 36 before going to/from work, I am betting that will improve now we have the valves right, the carbs synced again and we were FINALLY able now to get the bike to keep an idle!! YAY!

I did warn her that although her bike is bigger, more comfortable, cheaper and arguably better looking than mine, I will be the fuel mileage king! (Hey, I gotta win at something right??)

Comment

IMO that doesn't sound quite right. I know that youtube isn't the best place to get hi-fi sound but it sounds to me as if you have a pronounced metal 'tinging' sound. Whilst the valves are noisier than some other bikes, I don't think they are that noisy.

I considered putting an automatic CCT on mine and decided against it. I didn't like the idea of constant pressure on the steel blade and wasn't convinced that the auto ones exert the same amount of pressure as the original. More pressure would, I reasoned, lead to more wear on the chain. You said it's a new noise since putting the CCT on. I suspect there's something not right about it. If it didn't do it before, I'd put the OEM one back and see if the noise goes away.
                Last edited by James England; 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

It did not make that metal noise before the CCT, but we also adjusted the valves at the same time. We have one intake valve measuring 0.007 which is a bit out of spec. We will crack her open again, probably tonight, to take one more measurement to make sure it's not any more out of spec after yesterday's ride. We took it to 0.007 because it was originally at 0.035 which was definitely too tight. Measured always with a completely cold engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
                    It did not make that metal noise before the CCT, but we also adjusted the valves at the same time. We have one intake valve measuring 0.007 which is a bit out of spec. We will crack her open again, probably tonight, to take one more measurement to make sure it's not any more out of spec after yesterday's ride. We took it to 0.007 because it was originally at 0.035 which was definitely too tight. Measured always with a completely cold engine.
                    On my XS1100, 7 of the 8 valves were tight. One was OK. I did them a couple of days ago and double checked the clearances. All fine. The engine actually runs quieter..... I know it's not supposed to but it does. I even mentioned it in my post about the job. You seem to have a definite tick tick ting sound going on.
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Yes. Not knowing these engines though I don't know if its normal, and youtube was the only way I knew to get it out there.

Comment

Smash, the valve train sound in your video seems about the same as the sound my '80G engine makes with the Venture tensioner.

Keep your ears tuned and listen for changes in the sound, for better or for worse, but the automatic cam chain tensioners are noisy(er) than the stock tensioners.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ok, we officially had a "duh" moment.

We completely forgot to repair a loose header clamp thingy. Those metal round bits that secure the header to the block. One of them is missing a bolt. That's what's rattling. I had taken one to ACE to see if they had something that would work, which they didn't.

THAT'S WHAT'S RATTLING.

Haha, yep, we feel rather

I'll go back to the dealership tomorrow to see if I can order one of those weird bolts from Yamaha unless someone has another source.

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
                            THAT'S WHAT'S RATTLING.
                            Ah, I was listening to the valve train, not the exhaust. The valve train sounds okay to me.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Lol I'm not that good.

Comment

Working...
                              X