Wtf.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wtf.....

So it's Republic of Texas Rally weekend here is Austin (and also MOM) and the streets are filled with cycles of every kind (mostly Harleys ridden by insurance salesmen dressed in biker drag, but....) so my wife commuted with me to work today, stylin' on my vintage scoot. Everyone was impressed, even people who didn't see the bike but somehow intuited its presence. Pretty cool.

So I get her to work (27 miles, one-way) and they've got these huge, mountainous traffic bumps - I'm talking snowcaps here, even at 100 degrees - and....

OK, only loosened the exhaust a little. Figured it might run a bit rich on the ride home. So this afternoon we set out for home, wending our way through bevies of bikes, and the bike is running fine, if sorta hot. Traffic is almost deadstop on I-35, so I'm doing a lot of 1st and 2nd gear driving. Suddenly, I heard a little "poof" and left a little blast of air on my left leg. After that the bike is running like crap - it revved fine and ran on the highway fine, but driving at the bottom end of the range was rough and idling was ridiculous. I figure it's the exhaust, no real back pressure, and lean conditions.

So tonight I remount the exhaust. I start it up and I hear "poof" "POOF" "poof." I look down, and I see this....

So I think I can figure out the fix, but I am wondering about the cause. Aren't this ports supposed to be like a really bad relationship and just suck all the time?

This will not keep me from MOM...

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Looks like you just had an old hardened vac cap. The heat does that to em.

That usually happens when you have an intake backfire. You might need to tune on the carbs a bit more. It might be a tad lean.

I had several blow completely off when my carbs weren't quite right. I have several extras in my tool bag now and I've never need one again since tuning.

Go figure.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Chances are the vibration caused the cap to bust and give you a vac leak. The leak made it lean giving you the popping.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Isn't that the one that hooks to your pickup coil hose. Mine popped of one time too. Couldn't tell you why but it never happened again. My guess is Harley scum were messing with yer bike.
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
          Isn't that the one that hooks to your pickup coil hose. Mine popped of one time too. Couldn't tell you why but it never happened again. My guess is Harley scum were messing with yer bike.
          If your pickup coils are hooked up to a car intake boot you have a whole different problem. They should be hooked up to the nipple on the #2 carb!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

bring it to MOM!

ha! all those Harley's made you "bust a cap"

BTW - good call on not intimating that it was the 2-up weight over the speed humps that made you bottom out - you'd never survive

really - bring it over so we can have some fun.....

@nate - what pickup coil vacuum do you speak? I thought the pickup coil was wire and ran electricity?

now I am confused - my #2 vacuum nipple runs vacuum to the petcock like #4.

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
              ha! all those Harley's made you "bust a cap"

BTW - good call on not intimating that it was the 2-up weight over the speed humps that made you bottom out - you'd never survive

really - bring it over so we can have some fun.....

@nate - what pickup coil vacuum do you speak? I thought the pickup coil was wire and ran electricity?

now I am confused - my #2 vacuum nipple runs vacuum to the petcock like #4.

John
              xslover referred to it as that so I just left it that way for simplicity in realizing I was talking about the same thing as he. I am guessing he was referring to the vacuum advance which should be hooked to the #2 carb.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If you want to avoid this in the future, you can do like I did. Get your self and M3 tap and very gently thread those on the inside. Then I would use a little thread sealant and screw in some very short M3 screws. I f you dont want to see them, you can put vac caps over them.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I got vacuum caps that were a tad loose so i put a zip tie around them and clamped them tight-hasn't come off yet!
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  xschop K & N air filter setup
                  Dynojet Recalibration kit
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                  X