It was too good to be true.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was too good to be true.

The 81 SH that we traded the CB450SC for has a problem with the first gear (which I knew about when we traded). Now I find the tach and lights go out then back on while riding the bike continues to run strong. It is intermitted, goes out for a few minutes then comes back on as if it is shorted out somewhere.

I'm thinking that the stator may be going out or a short somewhere. I already checked the white wires coming out to the stator; the connector behind the fuse box was not melted. It was dirty so I clean it and put dielectric grease on it (I went ahead and did this to all the connections behind there) it still did the same thing.

We did put a different exhaust on the bike (the one off my 78E) not a perfect fit but good enough to pass inspection. I will look to see if any wires are hanging down that might have been melted by it.

I don't want to ride it too far from home (don't want to risk being stranded somewhere) until I find the issue here.

I do have a stator off the 78E that I can use (it has hole in the #2 piston)

Sorry for the ramble but sometimes it helps to write down the issues to figure out how to fix it. Any insight you might have would be appreciated.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

First instinct is the old tried and true connector behind the fuse box. That connector could go loose and the bike still run off the battery then the connector reconnects and all looks good again.

Other place to look is the fuse box. if it is the original fuses, it could easily be vibrating a fuse loose and back in on you.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

It does have the original fuse box. I do plan on replacing that as soon as I can. Will the tach go dead from a bad fuse? I thought it took its pulses directly from the white wires.
      Ty

Comment

I do not have a wiring diagram in front of me, you could be right on that one.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

No fuse on the ALT wires, just gotta make sure there are no breaks/corrosion at the fuse box area connector. Check the connections at the voltage regulator too and there is a connector in the headlight bucket which is the least likely to corrode.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
            It does have the original fuse box. I do plan on replacing that as soon as I can. Will the tach go dead from a bad fuse? I thought it took its pulses directly from the white wires.
            'Coop, the tachometer should get its power from the Brown wire that comes from the 20 amp Signal fuse so, yes, the tach will go dead from a bad fuse. Also check for a bad ground on the Black wire from the tach connector or a burned/loose alternator connector behind the fuse box.

The White wire from the alternator provides the frequency pulses for the electronics that operate the motor and needle in the tachometer but no power.
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

I guess that I need to break down and clean every electrical connection on the bike. The ones I did take apart to clean hadspider webs and corrosion in them. If that does not take care of the problem, swapping the stator only takes about a half hour.
              Ty

Comment

Yep, from what you described, you need to just settle in wiht a six pack and some de-oxit or similar, some emery paper, some small files and just clean, clean, and clean every connector on the bike. Otherwise you are just waiting for the next gremlin to come up on the ones you ignored. I'd get to the fuse box sooner than later as well.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

The tach and lights are different circuits if the wiring is unaltered, so I doubt if it's a fuse. I'd look at grounds; a bad ground can take out multiple items, even if they're on separate circuits...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Don't know why I didn't think about the grounds. I'll have to add those to my list. Thanks
                    Ty

Comment

Also check the field coil. When the engine is running, the next time the tach drops off, immediately check for magnetism in the alt. cover. My favorite trick is to drop a razor blade against it. If the razor blade sicks and stands out straight from the alt, the field coil is good. Otherwise, that's another thing to check.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Ground cleaning time agreed! The one that did the most for me was the rectifier to frame ground "under" the forward bolt that holds it on. Cleaned the corrosion and a lot of little things got better. I heartily agree on the three plug connector behind the fusebox and the fusebox in general.
                        I actually had a bad ground to the turn signals inside the turn signal socket that took a little time and patience to find.
                        Keep after it, you'll get it!
                        Bothell, WA
                        1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                        X