Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing/Windscreen and Engine Temperature

Hello,

So, I just purchased and installed National Cycle's Plexifairing 3, which seems like a pretty popular shield among riders on this forum. One thing I've noticed is that the fairing legs descend low enough to limit air flow to the engine. Does anybody have experience with aftermarket fairings, and know the the ins and outs of how they can affect engine temperature/cooling?

I plan to ride through some hot areas this summer (Eastern Washington, Southern Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, etc), and I want to make sure the engine won't overheat.
    1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special
    1969 (or '70 or '71) Triumph (Trophy or BSA) 250

Would'nt worry about it. IMO, should'nt be an issue. Never has been in 30yrs. of my Venturer with the fairing,lowers and factory oil cooler taking away some of that air. Where your riding ventures are taking U should'nt see more than the mid 90's for the most part anyways. Lest that's been my experience in those areas. A few of those areas will bump a 100+ on occassion, but moving you always seem to hit cool pockets anyways.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Agreed. The Plexifairing doesn't block the flow of air under the headlight, and definitely doesn't block any more air than a full fairing with lowers. I take my lowers off in the summer (just did a couple days ago), but only to get a breeze on my knees. Plenty of folks never remove the lowers, and never have temp issues.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

i agree it is warmer

I agree after installing the same I was worried, but it seems fine so far and we've had 100 degree temps and some traffic.

I'm not gonna worry about it.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
        X