Evening Ride Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evening Ride Notes

Just got back from a blast around the Valley on my faithful XS11. Wotta blast!

As I rolled her from her slot in a motorcycle filled garage, I pulled in the clutch lever and popped the gearshift down into first to free the clutch plates. It's an old trick that I learned from a Brit bike racer and I do it as a matter of course any time I ride. Put down the centerstand and stepped on it. The mass of motorbike lifted, swung through an arc, and settled softly down on the stop.

After retrieving the kicker arm from the saddle bags and putting it in place, I swung my leg over the saddle and settled in. Turned on the fuel, choked her one click and eased the kicker over a few times to prime her good. Key in the on position and one serious kick and the sweet sound of XS is my reward. Incase yer wondering, the starter works just fine and I usually let electricity be my boot. But sometimes I enjoy the personal connection of starting my motor with a physical act. I also like the way it just booms to life-no whine of the starter motor-just the symphony of eternal combustion.

With the choke fully closed, I left her to warm as I pulled on my old and worn leather jacket, armored gloves and helmet. The smooth, even sound of the 11's motor at idle is a comfortable noise to my ears. I know the health of my baby by the sounds she makes, and she sounds shaweeeeet! It seems she liked the camchain adjustment that she got last night. Oh baybee, we gonna have some fun.

One walk around to give a pre-flight inspection and make sure the stuff that is supposed to be there, really is where it should be and doing it right. I had checked tire pressure and oil levels in the garage and filled with gas after the last run a couple days past. Looks good...let's go riding.

I cruise slowly through my hood and let her warm, listening for any untoward sounds. All is well and out onto the streets of the SFV we roll.

It's kinda quiet as the after work rush has passed and the roads are mine. Splitting lanes at the traffic lights leaves me in the empty spaces as I accelerate away and the sound of the Kerker 4 into 1 burbles happily under power. Finding some stretches of open road as I head outta Dodge, I twist the wick a bit and revel in the harder bark of the pipe approaching full chat. This old baby just loves to run!

On past Shadow Hills and up into the Angeles National Forest we run. The sunlight lays in dapples on the tree-lined road as it twists and turns, snaking the way up the hill. I can see Little Tujunga Canyon Creek down at the bottom of the dusty canyon. Not another vehicle do I see as the big Yamaha scrapes pegs in the corners and follows the line so well through the apex that I sit upright and toss the bike around beneath me. So fun. So controllable and predictable. So freakin' fun!

I arrive at my favorite spot and shut off the bike. While the hot metal ticks and pings as it cools, I dismount and stroll up the hillside a hundred yards or so. I sat and looked out at God's Country-the beautiful and scenic sub-division from Hell that is the San Fernendo Valley. After I burned a bit of my glaucoma medication,wink wink nudge nudge, and sitting in the dirt i was ready to return home to my dull monochromatic life. One more toke..

As I ran her through the gears on the way back, I marveled at the smoothness and power in this old beast. Twist of the wrist and away we go! As the revs rise put a little pressure on the shift lever, pull the clutch and snick her into second gear. A bit of extra throttle and the front tire floats just off the pavement and gently touches back down just before the shift into third.

Up onto the 405 freeway for a nice high speed blast. Shift into fifth at seventy-five and hit the far left to claim the carpool lane. Yum yum, open highway and good asphalt. Occasionally we come up behind a slow moving minivan and slide to the right passing them, glimpsing the faces of kids pressed to the glass to see the bike go by.

The circle is closing and I'm nearing home so I exit the freeway and snake my way through suburban streets, racing my shadow past tract houses and skateboarders, pit bulls and Latina honeys. The glory of it all astounds me.

But my bike is running good and none of that earthly dross matters. Who cares about the economy when ya got a motorsickle to ride? I pull in my driveway, kill the motor, shut off the petcocks and push her into the garage. Damn, that was fun!

Let's do it again tomorrow!

I enjoyed the read, thanks
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Glaucoma

Shack - sorry to hear about your glaucoma...are you taking a beta blocker, carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, or alpha agonist?

Great ride story.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

So the view was full of GREEN so you had to toke in the sights with your glaucoma meds. in order to enjoy the GREENery to its fullest!...NICE!
        Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
        Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Thanks for all the concern. My eyes are feeling much better, in case yer wondering.

I'm not a lot of help in the tech department, so I thought this might inspire the guys that bought a non-running bike. It can be hard to remember why yer doing all the work when cleaning the carbs or struggling to replace them and the old XS just sits there mocking all yer best efforts.

In closing may I quote the most excellent Rep. Anthony Weiner, "I showed them, didn't I?"

Comment

Get your word processor out and write the book that they say is in everyone. I read your post and want to know what happens next!
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Great story, makes me want to go pull mine back out of the garage. But today was my first day that I worked less than 12-14 hours in over 2 weeks, so I think I will spend the evening with the wife and boys instead.

Again, great story!
              Semper Fi!

81 XS11 Special SH

Comment

One of these days..

Oh man... you made me drool. I'm getting so close I can hardly stand it. Hope to get a new gas tank this weekend... Maybe a maiden voyage soon after 2 years. Consider me inspired! Thanks!
                When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Working...
                X