550 Flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 550 Flasher

Has anyone ever tried a 550 automotive flasher in their bike? I know you're not supposed to, but the worst that could happen is that I end up breaking something new, but it'd probably be a fuse and they're cheap. Anyone? I'm going to try here in a couple days, so let me know what you know.
    Tony K.
    TonimusMaximus
    Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
    New 1978 XS11E Owner

I a word

Yes, they say they work fine just might hafta change the wire ends, also i have no doubt a ford silonide (cant spell) would work on the xs, xj Has anyone tried an automotive silonide ?.....MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Solenoid

It depends on which solenoid you use. There is no reason why either style of Ford solenoid won't work. The older style may be hard to mount, but there is a newer, smaller one that was used on vans, that may fit on an XS-XJ. If anybody needs a starter solenoid for their XS-XJ I have a couple for sale.
      Mitch, I see your're from NB. I grew up not too far from you in Waterville, Maine.
      Last edited by John; 11-06-2003, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I don't remember the flasher number, but both the standard 2-prong auto flasher and the electronic equivalant will work just fine. Will only plug in 2 ways, one works and the other doesn't. Won't hurt anything to plug it in wrong. You loose the auto-cancel of the OEM flasher.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

John

I have been in waterville,i also go to Laconia, almost every year, Wish i was down south so i could ride all year round Have a great day.......MITCH
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold
          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Most of you are talking about the 552 flasher which has 2 prongs. (I'm glad it does work) But I was talking about the 3 pronged 550 flasher for older vehicles. Comments?
            Tony K.
            TonimusMaximus
            Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
            New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

In two of my xs11s, I use electronic flashers. The 81H lost its emergency flashers, The 78E never had emergency flashers, both lost the automatic canceller function and have to be turned off by pushing in the signal switch. You get used to it, really. They both flash at the same rate, no matter whet the rpms are. I got it at NAPA for about $8.00 US.

Originally posted by TonimusMaximus
              Most of you are talking about the 552 flasher which has 2 prongs. (I'm glad it does work) But I was talking about the 3 pronged 550 flasher for older vehicles. Comments?
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Oh yeah, they are 3 pronged, and you do have to run one of the prongs to ground and can't use the standard connector.

Originally posted by skids
                In two of my xs11s, I use electronic flashers
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                X