No announcement yet.

Pretty Nervous...Top End Disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad ya got her figured out! Hopefully the no spark thing never comes back!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

No Rep points on this site which happens to make me very happy. The point is that this is a discussion board which makes the "possibly" newest member or the oldest member the wise one. Which one can help and how is not the point but the fact that we all will if we can. Some stuff I know nothing about, like electricity, but give me a set of carbs to tune and I can do ok. All anyone can ask is to share what you know or have learned!
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

But if it were'nt for ignorance, there would be no forums.// Well put Aaron, and no apology necessary. Glad to help! That's what it is all about, and I will NOT just throw something out there if I don't know for sure from my own experiences. If I don't know for sure, will throw out possibilities to consider. Glad to hear you got it to where it may be tuneable now!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Tunealbe indeed. Cobbled it back together enough to take her around the block. First ride in a week! The carbs are very obviously crying out for more help, but that is more in my comfort zone. Hope to be fully in tune and completely reliable by mid July. If so i'm gonna ride out to New Orleans with Ma and Granddad for a few days. Thanks again guys.
          1980 XS1100 SG Stock

Comment

Could not of made a better choice of folks to ride with!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              The vacuum line running out of the vac advance is currently running up to the boot on carb 2. The line running from the top of carb 2 is running to the point where all the fuel lines from the tank meet. Correct?
              Could someone clarify this for me please? On my UK bike, the vacuum advance line connects to the intake manifold on Carb 2. There is no other line from the top of the carb. I'm wondering if your carbs are drastically different? The UK ones don't usually have that octy thing on them. Maybe we don't have the top line either??
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Should'nt be, there set up similar to the STANDARD. Either way, I would think the vacuum line off the vacuum advance can STILL has to go to ported vacuum on port tube on front-side of carb...........not carb boot. Your gonna have to post a GOOD pic of that particular spot and side of carbs before I could be convinced otherwise.

Comment

See what you mean
                  Last edited by James England; 06-11-2011, 06:06 PM.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Should'nt be, there set up similar to the STANDARD. Either way, I would think the vacuum line off the vacuum advance can STILL has to go to ported vacuum on port tube on front-side of carb...........not carb boot. Your gonna have to post a GOOD pic of that particular spot and side of carbs before I could be convinced otherwise.
                    Yes, I see what you mean. Someone mentioned a port at the 'top' of the carb, hence me wondering why I don't have one.... it's at the front just above the carb mouth. The vacuum advance is connected to it. The other four stubs on the inlet manifolds connect two to each petcock and operate on the diaphragm. Too many pipes, too long a day today....

Comment

Yes James, that's what I understood you to say. If the vacuum advance is being pulled off the manifold and not ported vacuum, advance using vacuum will NOT take place, and will have FULL advance at idle. Vacuum advance operates from ported vacuum, in other words with throttle opening taking place. Not a clue why it would be different with your scoots, but either way vacuum advance has to use ported vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                      X