Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

one for the guru's....final drive chapter....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one for the guru's....final drive chapter....

hey there kids, found a diamond in the rough (i think) with a 78? (mfg date was 12/77).... xs 750 special....vin started 1J7.....bike is in very rough shape, but i see some treasure in this p.o.s.!....want to check and see if i'm looking at the "magical and elusive" final drive unit that you guys switch to?.....what will the switch do for me?........i think i can get it for a steal, but as always money is tight and SWMBO holds the purse strings and i just might have to start on that d*mn "honey do" list she has!.....i hate that list, but i'll suck it up if its worth it.....thanx in advance for any and all advice!....ride hard, ride safe....ross
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

I don't know of much off a 750 that you can use other than maybe the brake calipers and the FD, so unless you can get it for a low enough price that you can strip off those few parts you might be able to use for less than you can get them elsewhere it may not be worth it, you can get 750 or 850 FD's for $30 or less in good shape, so for the FD it's not worth much more than that, and once you pull the FD it's not good for more than selling for parts.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by ross View Post
      hey there kids, found a diamond in the rough (i think) with a 78? (mfg date was 12/77).... xs 750 special....vin started 1J7.....bike is in very rough shape, but i see some treasure in this p.o.s.!....want to check and see if i'm looking at the "magical and elusive" final drive unit that you guys switch to?.....what will the switch do for me?........i think i can get it for a steal, but as always money is tight and SWMBO holds the purse strings and i just might have to start on that d*mn "honey do" list she has!.....i hate that list, but i'll suck it up if its worth it.....thanx in advance for any and all advice!....ride hard, ride safe....ross
      Hi Ross,
      the XS750 f/d will let you run less rpm at any speed, lotsa XS11 operators claim that's a good thing. The f/d swap is well documented on this list and seems reasonably easy to do.
      But WTF to do with an XS750 with no f/d in it except to part it out?
      Well you now have a spare XS11 f/d just laying there, right?
      Graft it into the XS750 and hang a sidecar on the bike.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The valve shims are the same on the XS750..... 29mm. You'd have six of them for possible use in the future, or swapping here... I have 24 of them which I've accumulated for when I do my valve clearances and will swap any spares

PS read the recent threads re FD swap. It's all in there. The results of the poll say a lot. I've swapped and would never swap back. It's dead easy to do, as well.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
        X