Hey guys, new XS11 owner here - intro and exhaust ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, new XS11 owner here - intro and exhaust ID

I just traded my 99 CBR F4 (600cc) for a 79 XS11 Special over the weekend. The XS11 needs a ton of minor things (probably 20-25 things) but at least I can ride it so it's nothing really major. I thought it was fully restore when I decided to trade and ended up getting a bike that looks ok from a distance but needs a lot of cosmetic and mechanical things.

First of all I need help identifying an exhaust. I know to search so I did and I THINK I have a MAC 4-1 system but I'm not sure and was needing some help. It's been painted (poorly) and more importantly the baffle fell out on the Interstate when I was riding the bike home. So now I have an 1100cc 4 cylinder with a header and an empty megaphone pipe, talk about LOUD. It was fun and cool for about 10 minutes but now my ears hurt and I'm afraid to ride a lot because of cops....and my neighbors shooting at me.

If it really is a MAC I am gonna order one of their replacement baffles off their website for around $40. I'm still not sure whether I'll do the regular baffle or the competition... I think since i came from a CBR F4 with an aftermarket exhaust and I'm used to this bike being painfully loud that I need to go with the competition because the other will be too quiet for me. If the baffle works I'll repaint the system with the VHT header paint (already researched this part) and see how I like it. Ideally I"d love to have one of the nice new chromed Mac systems on eBay but just had a baby 2 months ago so I can barely afford the baffle alone.

I'm pretty sure the carbs need a GOOD cleaning even though the PO said he cleaned them. When I go WOT it usually stumbles and falls on its face. There's LOTS (like non stop unless you're giving the bike more than 10% throttle) of back firing and popping so I hope the baffle not only quietens the exhaust down a little but also lets the bike run a little better.

1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

it doesn't appear to be a Mac, maybe you can identify it from some of these pictures...

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=5436.0
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the link but I searched and found that site before I posted. I carefully studied (spent an hour, really) and couldn't find a match. The MAC looked like the closest but I didn't find an exact. I compared the muffler mounting tab and the weld spots on the muffler casing and none of them were a perfect match. I also know my megaphone has a single hole in it for a screw/bolt for the baffle and noticed some used 2 rivets/screws.

A few were close and at first I thought it was a Kerker but I've kinda changed my mind.

Anyone have any idea? I also noticed a bunch of them have a label/brand name riveted as a tag on the muffler. Mine has been painted but I don't see rivet spots for a tag but can almost see a rectangular outline like a sticker that was painted over.
      1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

Comment

Working...
      X