Almost there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost there

I got the carbies back on the bike today after purchasing my new float from Mikes. It took awhile to get her to fire up, but did in fact on full choke. It was a quick drop to no choke at all. Did the bench sync, but it seemed my idle was way too high with that being done. Tomorrow will be the actual on-bike sync with the SyncPro. Hopefully all goes well. Still have to bleed the brakes which didn't go very well yesterday. Any tips I could use. Thinking of getting speed bleeders and hoping that will make the job easier. After that is done I will finally be on the damn road again!!! WOOHOO! Can't wait to test ride her. Of course I will have to take er easy till the tires and brakes are broken in. Oh well...it will just be fun to get back on "Black Mamba". I can tell she is itching to go riding!

On a side note, I bought the 16mm bore front MC from Mikes as well and the rubber inside is a bit noisy...I know there are a few out there who use it. Anyone else's sound rubbery when pulling the brake? Might just not be lubed up enough yet?
    1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
    1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
    1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

rubbery?

mine doesn't sound unusual...maybe i dont know what you mean...

john
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

does it make any sound? Mine just sounds "sloshy" maybe would be a better word for it. I haven't bled the brakes yet tho, so maybe that is what is going on. I will have a better idea of how it works tomorrow.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Just needs a sync and a Tune

Got her put back together finally yesterday, Brakes, Tires, Handle grips, clutch adjustment, and a good scrubing. Still have to adjust CCT and tune her up, then the mechanicals should be ready to rock 'n roll. Front brake was a pain in the butt, but it works great now, after leaving it over night it tightened up a bit. Very happy so far with how things went. Wish I wasn't gone this weekend, would love to go for a ride Guess I will just have to use my Dad's '07 Stratoliner for the weekend :P
        Here is a pic of what she looks like as of now. Still want a new seat/cover and a new tank/or redo this one. But other than that its about done till I get another wild hair up my arse.

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot complete Carb cleaning and overhaul, #4 had an odd ball float in it that caught on the carb body. Nice work by the PO on that one. And had to redo the hub assembly on the rear wheel. Easier than I thought it was gonna be once I got all the parts gathered. Thinking about drilling the airbox. Any wisdom on exactly how this affects the bikes performance? I've read some about it, but not alot

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

When i run into brakes that are hard to bleed, reverse bleeding can do the trick. Use a large syringe from a feed store or medical supply and a piece of 1/4" tubing. Use the syringe to push fluid into the calipers and up the lines to the m/c. Gotta watch the m/c so it doesn't overflow.

Works for me.

Comment

I use speed bleeders on the front to make things a lot easier and also make sure you have fresh brake fluid.Use rags to cover the area up because brake fluid will mess up the paint.Clean the discs with brake cleaner if you spill it on there.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
              X