Thanks to all!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to all!!

I've been searching this Forum for a couple of weeks now, and i must say 'Hats Off' to all of you!!!
    I'm 'Resurrecting' a 79 XS that has been sitting for 24 ,, yes 24 years. Got it all running with the help of this Site! I will post before and after pics when i'm done.
    again thank you all for this, it's always a pleasure to work on these rides and plus I've been a Yammy fan for thirty years! First ride was a 78' 400 special, still got it ( in parts). Been riding Yamaha's ever since.
    '78 xs /Modifying
    '79 xs / almost complete
    '02 Venture(modified) /daily rider
    '92 Ninja /play thing

Why fit the Ride, when you can make the Ride fit you!

It really is great and I've learned loads from it too. If you've done a bike up after 24 years non-use, I bet you could contribute to the site too. I've done things on my bike I didn't know could be done, thanks to the wisdom here eg better coils, FD swap, tech tips of all sorts and the pleasant feeling that there are like-minded people out there who want to help each other in a pleasant, courteous way
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Hopefully I can contribute. I don't mind sharing knowledge and oopses! The oopses can be rather hilarious at times, likes cranking it over, nothing happening, only to find the plug wires off...
      Now just gotta find me timing light and get a synch tool, then on to the body work.
      '78 xs /Modifying
      '79 xs / almost complete
      '92 Ninja /play thing

Comment

Timing lights are pretty useless on these due to the wasted spark system. The way to set the timing is it line up the dots on the cams with the marks on the cam center caps and male sure they line up with the timing pointer.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Umm, the cam cap and timing mark thing only sets the cam timing. You still need to set the timing with a timing light, and a timing light will work fine with these, it's just that if you don't know what your doing, you can get confused, and the ones that tell you the RPM speed unless they understand wasted spark systems will tell you double the RPM, other than that, a timing light works just fine, unless of course you screw up your timing pointer, in which case you need to fix it anyways.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Found out that I won't need one after all. after 6 days of cleaning the carbs, yes 6 (six) days, it fired up and purred like a kitten. I put a light on it and didn't have to do anything. The advance and whole chamber looks Brand New. Just came back from a test run, definitely needs a carb synch, but roars none the less!
            I've worked on plenty of carbs, but never have i seen a 1/4 inch of TAR in the float bowls and gummed up like it was. Surprisingly, didn't have to change one part.
            '78 xs /Modifying
            '79 xs / almost complete
            '92 Ninja /play thing

Comment

Working...
            X