Star Plate Bolt Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Plate Bolt Fatigue

Went to put in my new Barnett HD springs (on right)...

and I just about snapped one of the 6 bolts in the star plate right off. I was using a torque wrench so I know I wasn't over torquing them! Backed them all out and could see the last bit of thread before the head of the bolt is elongated. Checked the aluminum threads in the clutch basket and all were fine. Looks like all the bolts are fatigued!!! So next time your in your clutch take a close look at your bolts, maybe even replace them! Thinking back on it, I'm glad it happen how it did, definitely wouldn't want to find out what would happen if all the bolt heads popped off at the speeds I ride at!

Any chance these are engineered to be really low grade bolts just to ensure you break the bolt and not the expensive clutch basket? Just wondering if I should try to get new from mother Yamaha or go to the hardware store... either way, I'm. Not riding to work tomorrow.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
    Just wondering if I should try to get new from mother Yamaha or go to the hardware store... either way, I'm. Not riding to work tomorrow.
    I'd bet the Yami dealer would have them, P/N 95821-06025-00 BOLT,FLANGE

Always look up the part # and bring it to the dealer with you, sometimes they can't/don't want to look up old models.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...-06025-00.html
    Last edited by bikerphil; 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Last time I was in the clutch to replace friction plates I removed the washers the PO shimmed the springs with... looking the the slings that are.conning out, the have blue paint on them. I'm not certain they are stock! Hmmm... interesting.

Kinda left out some pertinant info there don't ya think Wade?..........You basicly answered your own question with washers previously being there
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Im in need to change clutch.....

I read in other threads that you can use the xs650 friction plates. I was looking around and mikesxs has the cheapest plates i've seen. I was wondering could you also use the steel plates and springs on the 650's for the 11's also? Would be easiest to order in the same place and the prices are not bad. And also are the springs all the same length on every 11 model?
        '78E

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Last time I was in the clutch to replace friction plates I removed the washers the PO shimmed the springs with... looking the the slings that are.conning out, the have blue paint on them. I'm not certain they are stock! Hmmm... interesting.

Kinda left out some pertinant info there don't ya think Wade?..........You basicly answered your own question with washers previously being there
          I didnt leave out any info... The washers I took out are no thicker than an extra steel plate others sometimes put in their clutch pack to get more preload from their springs. It would work in the same manner. I took those washers out last time I was in the clutch, about 2 years ago now... not really sure if the springs are original but they are shorter than the new barnett springs!

Originally posted by Titbit21 View Post
          I read in other threads that you can use the xs650 friction plates. I was looking around and mikesxs has the cheapest plates i've seen. I was wondering could you also use the steel plates and springs on the 650's for the 11's also? Would be easiest to order in the same place and the prices are not bad. And also are the springs all the same length on every 11 model?
          All the clutch components are the same for every XS 11, IDK about using friction or steel plates from the XS650, you can get friction plates for about 40-45 from parts and more... I used them they seem fine.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Nothin' to do with thickness and IMO an extra steel is a bad choice anyways. The washers being on there not being an exact fit shift and move slightly causing inside hole of washer to wear on bolt threads reducing the size.........and yes, the washer info WAS left out HERE.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Nothin' to do with thickness and IMO an extra steel is a bad choice anyways. The washers being on there not being an exact fit shift and move slightly causing inside hole of washer to wear on bolt threads reducing the size.........and yes, the washer info WAS left out HERE.

Im not sure you fully understand the orientation of the washer... they were between the spring and the "ear" on the star plate. Although I don't doubt they could have moved some, I don't believe they came into contact with the bolt there is no sign of wear...
              Anycase... I do agree the extra steel is not the best method. It is possible the added washers from the PO contributed the the fatigue failure by increasing the load. Im off to get some SS bolts to replace them with!
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

Comment

Glad you saw a future failure before it happened Wade! A couple drops of blue loc-tite on the threads of the new ones wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Comment

Working...
                X