wire loom, and fuel gage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire loom, and fuel gage

I was just curious if anybody know where i could get wire loom, i rewired my pickups and i need somthing to recover the wires. I don't like the plastic tube loom you can get at auto parts store.

Also my fuel gage does not look. I traced the problem to the actual guage head. I tried to take it apart but no dice. I am looking for any info on the fuel gage from anybody that has messed with it.

Thanks
    1978 XS1100

Originally posted by Sgriger534 View Post
    my fuel gage does not look. I traced the problem to the actual gauge head. I tried to take it apart but no dice.
    You will have to carefully pry the lip of the trim ring up to access the internals. Small screwdrivers and a paint can opener should do. The glass might need to be removed which is glued in place. IIRC, I used a razor knife to seperate it. Sometimes a filament wire breaks off the fuel gauge due to vibration. If that is the case, it can be carefully re-soldered. This is my personal experience repairing my fuel guage. Bad comes worse, any 78-81 standard tach unit will fit your bike as a replacement.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the advice, i was afraid to pry on that trim ring
      1978 XS1100

Comment

If you need tach

I've got a couple extra square tachs in my garage. I can't afford to give stuff away anymore but I can sell one cheap. PM if you need one.
        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Hi 534

Also my fuel gage does not look. I traced the problem to the actual guage head. I tried to take it apart but no dice. I am looking for any info on the fuel gage from anybody that has messed with it.
          Thanks
          Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you do not have to pry anything apart to swap out the little black box (fuel meter?) behind your tach. Just loosen the tach from bracket and take it apart from the square base. If I remember right, that black box should have 7 volts coming out into the fuel gage.
          79 XS1100F.
          SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
          TC's fuse box.
          SOFA filter.
          Venture cam chain adjuster.
          Tkat fork brace.
          Progressive fork springs.

Comment

My bad 534 !!

I did not take the time to read your message correctly. You were talking about the gage head. I misunderstood and mentioned the black box behind it.
            You do have a project ahead, but it has been tackled by some of our folks.
            Good luck.

Thanks
            79 XS1100F.
            SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
            TC's fuse box.
            SOFA filter.
            Venture cam chain adjuster.
            Tkat fork brace.
            Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Just to make sure, you did check to make sure you have 7 volts coming out of the little black box to supply the gauge right? The gauge can go out, but the little black box can go out also, and in many ways that little black box is easier to deal with. A simple single chip part will replace that box, the only hard part is getting it in place and then gooping up the leads so they won't break off, but the parts cost like <$4 shipped and a little solder. You can get fancy with it, but I just used a bit of RTV to keep things from flexing around under there and so far I've got several hundred miles on the fix and it works fine, that of course assumes it's the box and not the gauge, but do check the box before you open your gauge cluster, cause if you don't have the 7 volts from the box, that gauge won't work no matter what you do to it.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
              X