Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New paint

Well here she is about half way done.

This winter we are going to pull it all the way down and repaint the frame, This has been a learning experience to say the least.

Let me know what you all think.

Happy riding..

Madness comes from within.

78 XS 1100 E (at Birth) "Madness"
    79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
    83 Sportster "Lunacy"
    72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

I like it!!!

A LOT!!!
    Garry
    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Yaaaa

It sucks...............That i dont own it !!! Great bike but that seat still look hard , Keep up the great work.............MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Well!!!!!!!!!!! W o W !!!!!!!!!
        I don't normally 'appreciate' blue but I really like that!
        And the Chopper looks coooool...
        Nice ride!
        '79 Special

Comment

well it looks ok..I guess its because I'm a bodyman/painter by trade that I'll pick out every tiny imperfection..

I see a lot of overspray..did you take the tank off for paint? It looks like you didn't..It also looks like you painted over a decal on the tank..it may be just me but I would have spent more time in preparation..For all the cool work thats done to the bike, slapping a not so great paintjob on it kinda lets me down.

The color is good.
          '80 XS1100sg "MadMax"

Comment

Many Thanks

No I didnt take the tank off Like I said I am pulling it down this winter and painting the frame again just to correct the overspray and the fact that it looks like crap.

I had a hell of time getting the tank to be smooth. There were ridges that I had trouble getting smooth. I guess I should have taken it to bare metal and truly started over.

I am going to have to redo the tank. Coming home yesterday. The Homemade gas cap gasket failed and sprayed gas all over me and the tank so here we go again....

I finally found the gasket on the web last night and ordered. I couldnt believe that tiny little piece of rubber was almost 20 bucks. Unreal. Anyway.

Thanks everyone.

I did a 200 miler over the weekend. I am now convinced that I MUST FIND ANOTHER SEAT!!!!!!!

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
            72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

Re: Many Thanks

You have done some neat things to that bike for customizing it. The 80sg bike that I have had a smooth tank with double-sided tape for the emblems. That might be an easy way to cover the old emblem areas. Personally, I think the xs11's have the ugliest emblems around. Sheesh, they could have made them out of real chromed metal! Did you reform the frame for the lower seat height and make those side covers? The bike has style and when you are finished, it will be quite unique looking.

Originally posted by Springer
              No I didnt take the tank off Like I said I am pulling it down this winter and painting the frame again just to correct the overspray and the fact that it looks like crap.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

How does the bike handle with the front raked-out like it is?
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Mods

I didnt do any of the mods. Except the paint. The first time we painted it you couldnt see the emblems marks. But this time for some reason they showed. I got the rear to drop by using shorter shocks. I went to a 17inch wheel on the back. and but an extra wide tire on it, it helps me feel more comfortable. The seat is a killer on butt.

It handles quite well sharp turns are a little werid but other than that it handles almost like stock. I am taking it down this winter and will probably add some more the back were the seat is and chagne the sissy bar so that I can at least have a second seat for the wife. It is a little bit tight right now so I'm riding alone (not all bad).

You knows what might happen over the winter. We shall see.

thanks

John

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
                  72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

The chopper look is great, where can I get some front forks and some pipes like that. I have three 79 standard xs 1100's, was that a special, one of my standards don't have a fairing or saddle bags. Later 'Dog

Comment

Front end

I dont know where the guy who I bought the bike from got the Springer from. But I do know that he had the side covers and rear fender made by a friend of his. They are both made of stainless steel. I guess the dude had some laying around. Must be nice...

There are a bunch of springer web sites on the web that you can have them made or buy one. The prices are fairly high any where between 950.00 and up. Not a cheap upgrade to say the least. But it looks so cool....

I have gotten compliments from Harley guys. The first was funny. The guy smiled shook his head and said "I dont think I have ever seen a springer on a Yamaha before, Looks good."

Check out this site on springer fronts.

Thanks I have become addicted to this bike......

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
                      72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

forgot

Oh yeah it is standand I believe. its a 78 xs1100 e.

That is all I know...

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
                        72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

pipes

I would love to know where he got the pipes from I think they are fatboy pipes welded onto the 4 into 2 standard set. He called them drag pipes They have a cool sound. XSpecially after you rev down after gunning it off the line. Kinda crackles.

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
                          72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

front end

hi
                            could you tell me the distance from the axle to the bottom of the steering head bolt as i am making a chopper out of one of my xs1100s.i have found a way of getting 4 in overs.i want to use telly forks but i do like your springer front.what shocks did you use and have you got a 16 or 17 rear wheel.
                            thanks
                            jim garvey
                            xs1100h
                            2x xs1100rh/s

Comment

Those pipes look just like mine which are MAC 4 to 2 turnouts. I got mine from Dennis Kirk.
                              Sam Bodie

Comment

Working...
                              X