Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock

I have an 81 xs1100 i rebuilt the petcocks and the one on the right side keeps leeking through the little hole covering the diafram i replaced it twce but it still leeks is there anywhere i can get a diagram to show how things are put together? maybe i am doing it wrong ? thanks for the help

Here is the standard petcock

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...8238#sch230383

This is the special petcock

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...8243#sch219683
    Current 1981 xs1100H
    First Bike was 1982 xj550j

Comment

Originally posted by daf1668 View Post
      Thanks for the links but i have seen them already and they only show the front where the valve is not the back where the vacum and diaphram is that's the part i am looking for and thanks for the help but still looking for a diagram

Comment

I've never seen a diagram in existence of what you are looking for, but I will say this..

Some of those petcock rebuild kits have a smaller size tip and O-Ring on the diaphragm than the stock diaphragm. This may cause a leak. Compare it with your old one. If not the case, you could try stretching the spring a bit to help hold it closed. You said you have rebuilt one and it doesn't leak? Use that one as a guide to try to correct the leaking one. Remember, the left and right petcocks are mirror images of each other. It may also be important on the position of the bleed hole in the diaphragm, IIRC. I have encountered the same problem you are having many years back and came up with a solution of modifying the petcock to be a manual non-vacuum type with an off position. I just shut my fuel off after riding and have no leaks. Good luck!
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I understand the diaphram on the std also fits the special and I recently replaced one on mine. Looking at an assembled std valve I have they do seem to operate the same.I will try to verbally recreate my experience.

The only questions I had was(1) how to get the inner square diaphram thru the hole in the divider and (2) which direction the divider mounts as it has a recession on one side.

(1) I folded the inner diaphram around the plunger and it slipped thru the hole. It appeared possibly the diaphram maybe could be pulled off the plunger and then replaced but I did not need to attempt this and I am glad as it may have damaged the seal to the plunger shaft.

(2) Looking at the impressions on the old diaphram it was clear the recession faces the rear/vac side and the round metal plate (spring seat?) sits into it.
          NOTE
          When I looked at the new diaphram assy If I didn't know better it looked like there was only 1 diaphram . Is it possible you assembled it without putting the inside diaphram on the inside of the divider plate? I can see where that could happen.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

bikerphil The o-ring actually has no bearing on a leak on the rear, only to the carbs. Is a good point in that case. On mine I swapped it from my old to new assy. On the conversion to manual I mentally noted when it was discussed awhile back but was not applicable so am unfamiliar with the details. Perhaps someone could find and post a link in case 81sx1100 wants to consider it.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

I just rebuilt one of these on a XS650. (They are identical to those on the XS1100 standard.) I had a template, so I'm sure I got it together correctly. I have yet to try it. During assembly, I lubed the rubber bits with this:
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                I just rebuilt one of these on a XS650. (They are identical to those on the XS1100 standard.) I had a template, so I'm sure I got it together correctly. I have yet to try it. During assembly, I lubed the rubber bits with this:
                Do you have a pic of the template? maybe that will help? and thanks guys for all the help so far but it only came with one diaphram not two and i don't see the hole or dent in the diaphram for the bleeder hole?

Comment

Nice picture here.http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/...0%20start.html
                  79SF
                  XJ11
                  78E

Comment

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/...20rebuild.html

When I first handled the new diaphram I was convinced there was only one until I peeled them apart.
                    79SF
                    XJ11
                    78E

Comment

My template was another petcock.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

I want to thank everyone for there help. I got it to work no leeks and that's the best part thanks again for everyones help i love this forum

Comment

Working...
                        X