Two positive wires ? to the battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two positive wires ? to the battery?

On page 161, photo 4 of the Clymer manual there is only one wire going to (coming from) the positive battery terminal to the solenoid of the standard xs1100.

This is a picture of my 1981 xs1100 special. There are two wires, one red and one black, going to (coming from) the solenoid.

I know the red wire with the rubber terminal cover connects to the positive battery terminal, but what does the short black wire connect to?
    1981 XS1100 Special
    Previous Bikes
    1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
    1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
    1982 Honda CB900c
    1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

That shouldn't be there....

What that 'extra' wire looks like is the grounding jumper that goes between the engine cases and the frame. It should be installed between the upper rear bolt that attaches the middle drive to the main cases and a lug on the frame just below and inside of the front mount for the sidecover lock. This lug is also where the negative battery cable should attach. I'll bet you'll find that not installed...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by davidsymons53 View Post
      On page 161, photo 4 of the Clymer manual there is only one wire going to (coming from) the positive battery terminal to the solenoid of the standard xs1100.

This is a picture of my 1981 xs1100 special. There are two wires, one red and one black, going to (coming from) the solenoid.

I know the red wire with the rubber terminal cover connects to the positive battery terminal, but what does the short black wire connect to?
      Hi David,
      looks like you've been PO'd.
      Skip ahead to pp 276/277 for the wiring diagram and see how the circuits are supposed to run.
      Note that the fat RED wire is the orphan here, stock fat battery wires are both BLACK.
      Not that a red wire isn't correct for a positive feed, it's that Yamaha (too cheap to buy red wire?) used a black wire instead.
      You photo also shows a red wire with a red woven outer cover peeking out from behind the draped towel.
      That red wire should connect somewhere on the fat positive wire (never mind it's colour) and run to the main 30A fuse that is behind the leftside cover.
      My red wire was crimped into the positive starter solenoid connection but a separate 6mm eye on the solenoid post is OK too.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I should have kept this post in the "My First Project" thread. Oh well.

While I was waiting for some help on the two wire question I went out and replaced the broken starter button. Who knew that a $5.00 part would take me three hours to install?

The two wires mystery is solved. While the PO was waiting to sell the bike, he went through the electrical system and checked all the lights and horn etc.. The bike needed a battery and since he had it listed @ $750.00 he installed a small battery just for that purpose. The battery was so small the positive cable would not reach the battery terminal, hence the second wire.

As for the ground wire and the red sheathed red wire there are connected exactly were they belong.

Speaking of the battery, two days ago I put the battery tender on the new, never before used battery, knowing I was just about ready to try to start the bike for the first time in at least ten years. Although it was a good plan, I managed to plug in my heavy duty battery charger instead of the battery tender. Now I will have to wait a little longer before I can attempt the "first start".

On a separate note Fred, I did keep not one, not two, not three but five lawnmower gas tanks form a bunch of lawnboys I scraped last fall.

I had forgotten that I kept them to use one as a temporary tank, even though I have been tripping over them all winter long. Why did I keep so many? No-one, including me will ever know.

On the bright side if you need an old lawnmower gas tank I have one just for you... and you... and you etc.

Thanks all for the help,

David
        1981 XS1100 Special
        Previous Bikes
        1982 Honda CB900c
        1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Hey David,

Did you FRY the new battery with the HD charger?? Was it set to 6 amps or 2 amps? The instructions on new batteries tell you to charge them with a decently strong 2 amp charger....not necessarily a tender charger for some 6-12 hours prior to use. Okay, just curious as to whether you're having to get another battery or what happened?

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey David,

Did you FRY the new battery with the HD charger?? Was it set to 6 amps or 2 amps? The instructions on new batteries tell you to charge them with a decently strong 2 amp charger....not necessarily a tender charger for some 6-12 hours prior to use. Okay, just curious as to whether you're having to get another battery or what happened?

T.C.
            Some batteries do say to use 6 amps for less time. just depends on the maker. Point is, follow the instructions that come with the battery.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

TC, the battery did not fry because it was connected to the not plugged in Tender. The plugged in HD charger was not connected to anything.

The new battery was fully charged, with a 2 amp charger, when I bought it a month ago. I put it on the Tender to top it up before I needed to use it.

David
              1981 XS1100 Special
              Previous Bikes
              1982 Honda CB900c
              1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Lol.. I have my battery tender on a switched outlet and a few times my wife or I shut off the switch on the way out of the garage. I should probably run it to another outlet.....
                82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
                X