Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Black & Decker Fix" experience?

Fellow XSives -

Has anyone here done the "Black & Decker Fix"? I'm curious about it, but haven't heard any discussion about it in a few years.

Also, anyone have any experience with having the dogs undercut at a machine shop?
    Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

I tapered the dogs by hand when I did my tranny fix last year. Used a 3-corner file. I also had the gear face cut at a machine shop and added a 2nd spacer behind the gear to increase engagement by about .040 in. Since I did both at the same time, hard for me to tell what effect tapering the dogs had. Tranny is solid, btw, not a skip since then. If you are going to pull the gears anyway, a few minutes to taper the dogs can't hurt.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey there Bill,

Glad you asked, I've done 3 of them, first on my own 81XS, both 2nd/5th dogs and slots, and 1st/4th which are harder to do because those gears are not fully open, just cut into the side of the gears, and then I also did 2 XJ's, again both sets since they were both showing considerable wear, but surprisingly it was the 1st gear on both XJ's that were acting up, and 'my' first gear also acted up on mine first, then went to 2nd!!

I used a Dremmel for all three, grinding stones for several of the dog and slot sets, but an actual cutting wheel for one, due to so much wear and rounding off of the dog, had to cut a good 1mm thick section from the contact side of the dogs.

Mine has worked for 2+ years without a skip, doing the occasional wheelie in 1st, and running a long time in 2nd thru the twisties of NC and Ga. I did not use the spacer, just did a good undercut of the contact surfaces so that they would pull together when in contact.

If you will go to the Yahoo site, review the tech tips, you'll find my simple writeup and many photographs and diagram on how I did it. I owe it all to Ken Talbot's pages I found several years ago when I decided to resurrect "Godzilla". Drop me a line with any other questions!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C. wrote:
        • I've done 3 of them
        • I used a Dremmel for all three, grinding stones for several of the dog and slot sets, but an actual cutting wheel for one
        • go to the Yahoo site, review the tech tips, you'll find my simple writeup and many photographs and diagram on how I did it.
        • I owe it all to Ken Talbot's pages I found several years ago when I decided to resurrect "Godzilla".
        Thanks a lot, T.C.! Nice write up, pix, and graphics. Interestingly, I'm looking into this for my '87 GSX-R1100. It has a tranny with similar gears/dogs/slots. What's different is that replacement and aftermarket heavy-duty replacement parts are available in the Gixxer world. But they're XSpensive!

However... by the looks of things, the B&D fix would work the same and be a lot cheaper. I'd like to try the "fix on the Gix" and share it if it works out well. I'll keep you posted!

XSively,
        Bill K.
        1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
        1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Working...
        X