T-kat fork brace - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-kat fork brace - worth it?

Hi guys, in an effort to improve Beastly's handling I'm considering getting the fork brace. I did a search but didn't come up with much of a difinitive answer on whether or not it actually helps with the handling - namely the pogo stick effect when cornering even slightly aggressively. Anyone put this on and notice a real difference?
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Hey there Rider,

Well, I think I remember seeing somewhere that TKAT posted he had sold about a THOUSAND of these things. I put one on my bike and the front end definitely felt more stable. But the POGO stick affect you're describing may be coming from your rear shocks more than the front? Also have you done the front fork fluid change. The old style oem rear shocks have compression damping, but not expansion. Other handling points can be worn/loose or incorrectly tensioned steering head bearings, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings. I clearly remember the pogo affect during accel on my rear OEM shocks, and that disappeared when I put on new modern shocks...even cheap ones! Others have also commented that you need to have a good line and speed set BEFORE you get to a turn, smooth even or slow accel in and thru a turn is much better than going in too hot/fast and having to slow down, etc while negotiating the turn!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
      Hi guys, in an effort to improve Beastly's handling I'm considering getting the fork brace. I did a search but didn't come up with much of a difinitive answer on whether or not it actually helps with the handling - namely the pogo stick effect when cornering even slightly aggressively. Anyone put this on and notice a real difference?
      Like someone mentioned previously, make sure prior to installing that the front end is in alignment and your forks are straight (I know, duh). But I have had one installed for a few months now and it is amazing to me ( a novice rider compared to some of you guys) and I can tell a night-and-day difference. Much, much more stable at higher speeds and in the corners or avoiding objects quickly in the road. Love it.

Thanks TKat for a great product.

Jamie

Comment

Thank you guys, I have done a bunch of the suspension things you mentioned although I do have a slight binding problem I have to work out. Nonetheless, I do think the 11 has substandard handling (even for it's time period) and I'd like to improve it if possible. I'm leaning toward pulling the trigger on the T kat brace. Thank you for your input!
        '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

Adding a fork brace definately won't hurt the handleing.
          The forks on these bikes were superb 30 years ago. We now compare them to new designs.
          Steering bearing condition, swingarm pivot bearing, and rear shocks are just as important (and often overlooked) to the way a bike handles.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

My bike used to pogo and the bars waggled violently if I took one hand off at anything above 40mph. I did the following:

1. Fitted vintage 1980's Micron fork brace (from eBay)
            2. Replaced the steering head bearings
            3. Replaced swinging arm bearings
            4. Replaced both rear wheel bearings
            5. Tightened up the steering yoke/axle bolts in the correct sequence
            6. Replaced the front wheel bearings
            7. Fitted new progressive fork springs
            8. Fitted new rear shocks
            9. Fitted decent tyres

Doing the above transformed the handling. The fork brace is a must, IMO. We fitted them to brand new XS1100's in 1979. I'd look for a used Micron or other vintage brace...they were a lot a beefier than the TKat one looks and they can be bought cheaply too.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              My bike used to pogo and the bars waggled violently if I took one hand off at anything above 40mph. I did the following:

1. Fitted vintage 1980's Micron fork brace (from eBay)
              2. Replaced the steering head bearings
              3. Replaced swinging arm bearings
              4. Replaced both rear wheel bearings
              5. Tightened up the steering yoke/axle bolts in the correct sequence
              6. Replaced the front wheel bearings
              7. Fitted new progressive fork springs
              8. Fitted new rear shocks
              9. Fitted decent tyres

Doing the above transformed the handling. The fork brace is a must, IMO. We fitted them to brand new XS1100's in 1979. I'd look for a used Micron or other vintage brace...they were a lot a beefier than the TKat one looks and they can be bought cheaply too.
              Good info, thanks!

Comment

Get the fork brace. But you really should buy the racetech emulators they are about 150 bucks and it makes you bike handle like a modern bike! I live near some very curvy mountain roads and you can scream through with these things. It makes the bike feel 100 pounds lighter on the front.
                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

You may consider fitting a steering damper but I would advise against it. We used to fit steering dampers and there was a kit available which enabled one end of it to be mounted using the two bolts which hold the oil radiator on, or the lugs on the frame in the case of many US bikes. I had one on an XS1100 Martini. Having said that, I find that my bike now doesn't need one at all and I can't help thinking the steering damper just disguises slack bearings etc. Some people also found that the strain on the lugs, or the radiator bracket, made them crack off. My radiator certainly moved a bit as they are mounted on rubber grommets.

I think if you renew the bearings, you'll notice a huge difference. Make sure you get the swinging arm centralised correctly by using feeler gauges; each side is adjustable and you can actually move the swingarm from side to side by slackening one side and tightening the other. You need to get the swingarm in the middle and also get the torque right on the adjusters because they are conical roller bearings which you can easily overtighten. I used gauges but found it a bit fiddly and eventually did it by eye and got the gap either side the same.

As I said, my wobbles completely disappeared. I did post a thread here which said I couldn't understand why the XS1100 consistently gets a bad press re the handling and even asked if it was an urban myth!
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I like the TKat fork braces. If you have "noodely" forks, you will probably notice a difference, but if your handling is already good, you probably will see no benefit - now. That said, the more miles and rough roads that your bike experiences, the more likely you will need a brace in the future. I have three standards and all have them. The TKat braces are aluminum and polish nicely.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Get the fork brace. But you really should buy the racetech emulators they are about 150 bucks and it makes you bike handle like a modern bike! I live near some very curvy mountain roads and you can scream through with these things.
                      What he said! The fork brace helps, but if you're looking for dramatic improvement, this is the way to go. If you go through Traxxion Dynamics They're $150. Send the forks and it includes the install and set-up.

Personally, I am not a fan of progressive springs. If I get the sag dialed out, they are extremely harsh. Or...I can live with excessive sag. They're certainly not for riding sporty. No sport bike comes equipped with them, if that says anything. I have Progressive Suspension shocks on my bikes, and just ordered 140/200 rate springs to get the sag out. I know it's going to be a harsh ride, but there aren't a lot of economical options. Pogo action is gone!

Before you do anything, do as others have suggested, and make sure forks are straight, etc.
                      Last edited by jetmechmarty; 06-05-2011, 07:45 AM. Reason: content
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
                        Adding a fork brace definitely won't hurt the handling.
                        The forks on these bikes were superb 30 years ago. We now compare them to new designs.
                        Steering bearing condition, swingarm pivot bearing, and rear shocks are just as important (and often overlooked) to the way a bike handles.
                        Hi Pat,
                        yeah, what you said. Compared to a modern inverted fork cleverdick rear end bike the XS11 handles like a cow.
                        Compared to my plunger frame BSA Gold Flash with it's first generation teles pogoing, it's undamped plunger rear suspension twitching and it's muffler going spat-spat-spat on the road on corners, the XS11 steers like it's on rails.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Lot's of great info guys - thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X